MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > Knives For Sale - Custom

Knives For Sale - Custom Custom Knives for Sale (All Styles). These knives are offered by the individual sellers.

Old 11-25-2011, 11:52 PM

A repro of a belt knife from XIIIc London.

I decided to sell a knife I made a few years ago. This knife was inspired by several examples from the Museum of London's "Knives and Scabbards" book (a great book, BTW). Looks pretty close to the originals, as far as I can tell from the pictures. I would like it to be used by some reenactor out there instead of just gathering dust in my drawer.

I made it by combining typical features from a number of knives and scabbards of late XIII - early XIVcc. It is supposed to represent a typical knife carried by most common townsmen at the time as a general utility tool and eating implement. The great majority of finds are of this simple type, rather than expensively made and decorated pieces that only a few would be able to afford.

The blade is 2 1/2" long, 1/8" thick at the base and tapering to the point. It is made of 1095 steel, almost razor sharp with a fine point, and finished to sort of satin finish 600 grit (not as finely polished as a modern custom knife is expected to be). Finally, it was given a dull grey finish by application of lemon juice.
Both the small size and approximately triangular shape are very much typical. The finish is also in keeping with historical correctness - the authors of this book speculated (on circumstantial evidence) that these knives would typically be somewhat stained by everyday use, and not kept highly polished.
The letter A is a makers mark, inlayed in fine silver. This is a feature that is a little out of period, but not impossibly so (there are some found from early XIVc on different knife types).

The handle is also of a typical simple shape (fat oval in cross section ), made of maple with some nice figure to it, looks great under oil finish.

The sheath is made of leather wet moulded and decorated by stamped dots in areas defined by engraved lines.
The decoration is on a simple side, but authentic (there are a couple in the book decorated in similar manner). Construction is, again, typical for sheaths found with this knife type, with a seam on the back and four slots cut for the leather suspension thong.

Asking $30 plus $5 shipping within US.

Contact me at aleksandr.indman@thomsonreuters.com with offers. Feel free to ask any questions as well.

Thank you.
Alex
Attached Images
File Type: jpg london_knife.jpg (1.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 12-10-2011, 09:18 PM

All right, last try: will someone take it off my hands for just $25 (shipping within US included)?

Alex.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Skilled

I think you might have better results if the image was larger, it is very difficult to make out anything at that size. I've always had an interest in knives from this period, and wish you the best in selling this one.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Alex, the image is too little to see. Can you attach a larger version?

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 12-12-2011, 08:22 AM

Sold

Tags
blade, custom, image, induction, knife, knives, leather, satin finish, sheath