MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Enthusiast

big decision time!

I want to start forging my own knives but I have no idea where to start. I am currently working on my first knife using the stock removal method. Do I need to become proficient with the stock removal method before forging? Is there anyone out there that I could visit in order to observe and learn the process? Is there a school I could attend to learn to forge? Any book suggestions? I have the time to be a full time knifemaker. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 12-12-2003, 09:55 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

You don't have to become proficient at stock removal before you learn to forge but it can't hurt either. After forging your blade, the final shaping is usually going to be done with stock removal processes since most of us can't shape a blade perfectly and get the surface perfectly smooth with a hammer.

You might consider posting this question of Ed Caffrey's forum. There are forging people here on the newbie's Forum but there are more on Ed's forum. That will make it easier to find someone in your area to visit.

There are tons of books and videos and I'm sure someone will recommend a few to you pretty soon. My suggestion is to get catalogs from the major knife supply houses like Sheffields, Texas Knifemakers, K&G and look in them. They all sell books and videos on every knifemaking subject - one stop shopping. Also, get a copy of Blade magazine. The advertisements are worth the price all by themselves. This is also where you will find schedules for forging schools and classes ......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-12-2003, 12:22 PM
Enthusiast

could you please put my other question on....

could you please post this to ED's forum, I do not know how. Thanks

Old 12-12-2003, 12:39 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Nothing to it, just go to Ed's forum and ask your question again over there. Then, you can use the Edit key on your post in this forum to delete your post here if you wish but you don't have to. We don't encourage posting the same question in more than one forum but we understand that is not what you set out to do. You'll just have to check both places to make sure you see all the answers that may get posted ........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-12-2003, 01:36 PM
Skilled

For a book I suggest Wayne Goddard's "$50.00 Knife Shop", It's a great book with lots of info to get started forging. There is also the American Bladesmith Society that has a school in Old Washington Arkansas that has several classes a year.
Good luck
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 12-12-2003, 02:19 PM
Enthusiast

Gruntworks,

I plan to host a small hammer/grind-in no later than next fall in Hendersonville, TN. It would be a very easy drive for you. Hopefully we can get several area knife makers involved. I learned a ton at Ron Claiborne's hammer-in.

I think it would be great to get a bunch of Nashville area knife makers together. Hopefully I can get it organized.

Tom

Old 12-12-2003, 05:01 PM
Enthusiast

sounds great!

I have written you earlier and you may not have recieved it because my computer is sick. I would enjoy a get together in the future and thanks for the invitation. I am looking for a knifemaker (anywhere) that I could get with and see 1st hand the process of forging a blade and general shop configurations. I am willing to pay and the time would be at the hosts conveinience. I really am very impressed with the family"feeling" and the willingness to help. Thank you

Old 12-12-2003, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

I didn't get the email Gruntworks. Maybe your Computer threw up?

Anyway, you are welcome to come down, just know that I am a beginner also (forging and grinding). Sometime after the first of the year would be best for me if that's OK. I've only got a couple of forged blades under my belt and they aren't finished. I did however learn a ton of stuff at the Ron Claiborne hammer-in in November and would be happy to show you what I learned. We can learn together

I have a small forge up and running and a larger one waiting to be constructed but am mostly waiting for my anvil to arrive. I have a 150 lb'er coming around Christmas and that should get us
started.

Based on my experience, I think you'll have a hard time finding many makers willing to take money. Knifemakers are an anomoly, you would be hard pressed to find any community that is as willing to share "trade secrets". It's amazing and a blessing both.

Anyway I'd be glad to give back some of what I've gotten from others. If nothing else we can talk about tools/knives etc and I can show you how to make a Kydex sheath. I've been doing that for a couple years.

Looking forward to it,
Tom

Old 12-13-2003, 07:36 AM
Enthusiast

thanks!

I would really enjoy seeing your set-up and learning from you. Just keep it in the back of your mind and when you have time we will get together. I am a 100% disabled (at 33) and have all the time in the world. I am totally devoted(time wise) to knifemaking and plan to learn all I can from anyone in the knifemaking community. Again thanks for your offer and I look foreward to meeting you.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives