MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 09-08-2001, 11:56 AM
Tom Ferry

knife pic attempt

Ok guys here is one of my latest pieces. Its a mosaic damascus, intergal with mammoth ivory grips that I checkered.

Old 09-08-2001, 02:22 PM
primos

Oh man Tom, I love that knife! I mean it. I'm not just being supportive of another maker. I love it.

Tell us more. What's the name of the mosaic pattern? At first glance I thought of spider webs. As I look at it I can see all kinds of neat things happening in the pattern.

That's just a superb piece of work. I hope you'll be showing us more of your work.
Old 09-08-2001, 02:34 PM
Don Cowles

I'm with Terry, Tom- that's a real breathtaking piece. I'll add that that is a pic worth entering in the photo contest!
Old 09-08-2001, 03:17 PM
Tom Ferry

Thanks guys. Spiderwebs is what it is supposed to look like Terry. It is a pattern I have been playing with for awhile and I think I am finally happy with the look it has. I am glad to hear you guys think so highly of it. This is my first attempt at a intergal and it is one of those few knives that built itself and looks better than the drawing. The blade length is 4 1/2" and overall it is 9". I ended up doing a san mai with a 15n20 core because I was having a hard time keeping all the welds together while forging the knife even at a welding temp. I was suprised how well the san mai technique worked with this application as far as holding the mosaic billet together while forging to shape. I forge welded on a mild steel extension to the blade for the handle then forge welded on the bolsters over the splice. It was a full day of forging by the time I finished and came up with all the solutions to the many problems involved with this type of blade.
Old 09-08-2001, 07:19 PM
Mike Sader

Tom, that is some beautiful work!!! Hoping to be doing some good work like that someday myself Mike
Old 09-08-2001, 08:19 PM
Mike Conner

Man O Man Tom, that is one Awesome knife. One of the most impressive that I have ever seen.
Hope you will share some more with us soon.
Mike
Old 09-09-2001, 12:03 AM
Rik Palm

That's Wonderful!! Excellent work.
nice photo too!
Old 09-09-2001, 04:50 AM
ansoknives

Yes..WOW:..ya...Awsome...I love the large integral bolster and that checkering is reall good looking.....and the pattern is real good....It is one of the most pretty and welldesigned knives I have seen here in a long time.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:01 PM
NickWheeler

Hmm, I guess it's not too bad

Well, I think I am the first one here that can say this knife isn't done justice with the photo. Tom did a great job with it, but this knife is just flat awesome!

Just as far as my tastes go, it's one of my favorites out of what I've seen of Tom's work.

The pattern in the steel is radical. The ivory is premier. The fit and finish are top notch. An excellent piece from every angle!

Glad you're sharing on here Tom!

Nick
Old 09-09-2001, 09:34 PM
Tom Ferry

Thanks for all the comments guys and Nick is right the photo doesnt do it justice.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:32 PM
Ed Caffrey

OUTSTANDING! Very nice stuff Tom. I know how much work goes into an integral piece like that............LOTS!
You've done an excellent job of bringing all the elements together.
You darn "kids", always making us "old timers" push the envelope.
Seriously though, you are doing wonderful work, just don't ever lose that fire!

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knives