MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Skilled

My new website........

Hey everyone,
Please check out my new site. It's still in the works and I would love some feedback.
Thanks
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 05-11-2005, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator

Generally, it's pretty nice. You've kept it simple and quick to navigate - which is very good.

Picture quality - at least on the enlargements - could be a lot better. They're too small and not well focused.

They also need some details. (I assume that's the part that's still in construction.)

You do have an email address, but not mail or physical address. No telephone either. I wouldn't buy from someone who doesn't let me know how to find them.

Another suggestion: On your bio, I'd take out anything remotely negative. This isn't "Truth or Dare" - you're selling yourself.

Hope this didn't sound too critical, because I really do think you have a good looking start.

Old 05-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Skilled

Jack,
Thanks for the feedback. A friend of mine is building the site and this is just the start.
All my contact info will be on there(I wouldnt buy a knife from someone who didnt provide that either).
I felt the same way about the pictures......the problem with the ones there are all in my photography. This area will improve as my photog skills get better, or my knives get blurrier.

I was wondering what you refer too in the bio as negative....I assume the part about the shop closing....am I correct?
Thanks again, feedback is very helpful.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Old 05-11-2005, 02:22 PM
Guru

Mace, good to see you getting one up. I think its coming along nice. I too like some explaination to the knives but other than that it looks like it will turn out great.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 05-11-2005, 06:00 PM
Super Moderator

Mace,
Yeah, that and the nearby sentences. Actually, the whole precast concrete thing is irrelevant. The part about brass work leading you into forging is really good - and really relevant.

Picture this: An interested potential customer sees a knife you posted on TKN and takes the link to your site. Curious about this knifemaker, he clicks on your bio and reads it. What information would he be interested in?
- How you got interested in knifemaking
- How long you've been doing it
- Who helped train you
- What memberships you might have
- What awards you might have won
- What style you favor and/or who's work inspires you
- What other similar stuff you might do (e.g., brass work)
- and, oh by the way, do you also sell that somewhere else
- If you are available for custom orders

I'm being pretty picky here - I've been working on my writing and am fired up on editing at the moment - but I think I'd even re-word the part about your knives to say that all of your knives are one-of-a-kind and leave off the bit about that you don't make a standard or pattern of knife.

This is getting a lot longer than I intended. It makes it look like I'm really critical of your site, and I'm not.

Old 05-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Hi Mace,

I enjoyed the site as well. It's clean and well-structured.

In time I hope you will add more. Jack's suggestions are good!

I find one major thing lacking in your site, and it plays SUCH a big role in our readiness to choose one maker over another. Simply enough you are talking in the first person but there is no picture of yourself to identify with. As a human interest aspect in your 'selling yourself' (You need to sell yourself before the knife. Believe it.), you need to include your charming self. I find websites without a maker's face unconnecting.

On the other hand, those that have a face on the home page tell me they are confident to extend themselves, and it is almost like they are shaking your hand before you asked.

Beyond that the text is homey and likable. As you are. I know you and your work. Your biggest asset is your gentle and kind manner, your willingness to grow and learn, and excitement for your craft. Your knives quality follows suit.

I wish you nothing but the best. I am a phone call away, and the Photo Forum has all the answers for even better images. Let us help.

Thanks for showing us your new site. I'd be pretty excited too!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM
Skilled

Thank you guys for the comments......please don't think your being too hard Jack, this is why I made this post(also to get people to check out my cool new site).

Coop, You my friend are too kind.
I will put a pic of my mug up......I agree that it is like a cyber handshake. Gosh I'm so pretty it should really draw people in!

I'm going to explain the concrete plant info:.........maybe you can help me put things a better way(Jack).....
My intent was to give some background on myself, but more importantly I wanted people to understand my fathers influance and some of the things that helped me become who I am.......he is gone now.......before I ever started this knife making adventure.....so I wanted him to be a part of it somehow.......I like to think that what I'm doing would make him proud.

Thanks again for the input.....and I hope you guys bookmark my page and visit every now and then to see how it's comming.
Mac

www.laurelrockforge.com

Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

I understand where you're coming from, and what you've said is really not bad. How about something like: "My father and I worked together in a family business for X years, and he taught me a great deal about life, business, and the value of quality."

I guess that what Coop, Skivie, and I have all focused on is having your site make the best first impression on potential buyers. That's a pretty narrow focus and doesn't necessarily cover other aspects you would like to convey. It's human nature that we shy away from anything perceived as being negative. Everything that has been pointed out was designed to quickly make a connection with each new visitor. There's no 'perfect' way to do that, and you don't want your site to be exactly like anyone else's - It needs to reflect your personality.

You asked for comments, and we took a shot at everything we could. Take some suggestions, ignore some others, come up with ideas of your own. You've got a great start and we've all bookmarked the site to check out the finished product. (Not that it ever really finishes!) If there was one suggestion that I'd definately keep, it would be Coop's for using your photo. Also, Coop (and others) have got some great info posted on improving photograph quality (without spending a fortune). And nobody's better at that than Coop.

Best wishes, amigo!

Old 05-12-2005, 12:19 PM
Skilled

Well, after all this my friend informs me that this was just to get soething up on the web and that the real site is being worked on and will be launched all at once.
Thanks again for all the input and I'll let you all know when the new site hits the web.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

Tags
forging, knife, knife making, knives