MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Skilled

Anneal ATS-34

I've got some straight razor blanks of ATS-34 that I'm beginning the filework on. Part of the tang was heated to cherry red and bent as part of the design, then allowed to cool in air (not necessarily slowly). This part of the tang seems to be impervious to my files so it looks like I need to anneal the entire blade.

Searching for precise ATS-34 annealing procedure didn't give me much information. Lots of hits for hardening but not annealing. I have an EvenHeat oven with electronic control. What's the optimum heating/cooling cycle to anneal ATS-34?

-Frank

Old 10-05-2008, 02:23 PM
Hall of Famer

Hello there, Mr. Frank J. Warner.

It's nice to see your name, my friend.

As you know, ATS34 (Hitachi Metals)is basically the same as Crucible Steel 154CM. All the heat treating formulas work for both.

Here's a link to Crucible's website with the info you need for annealing and stress relieving 154CM. It should work fine for your razors.

http://www.crusteel.co.uk/products/knife/index.cfm

The important part is to soak for a long time at the recommended temp., then slow cool. If your furnace allows you to program times and temperatures to slowly ramp down that's the best way to do it.

Hasta la vista, Amigo. Abrazos.
Old 10-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Skilled

Hello there, Mr. Don Robinson. Imagine that you would reply. How are things in the south part of Tejas? Muy Bueno, I hope. Still kicking out here in CA. No earthquakes, and none of them dreadfull big winds like you get every year.

Unfortunately, your link gives me this uninformative message when I click the CPM154 link:

File Under Revision
Please check back later

Sounds ominous. Maybe I should consider another line of work, but I'm too old for the street corner.

-Frank

Old 10-05-2008, 02:57 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Hello there, Mr. Frank J. Warner.
Oh, and while I'm waiting for a reply, I need to tell you, this straight razor business is really taking off. I have so many requests for custom pieces that I can't keep up. The ones I've accepted will keep me busy well into next year.

And I owe a great deal of it to you. I approach all my work from a tool & die-maker's perspective now. I'm machining all the major parts. Every time I do a set-up on my mill I ask myself, "Is this the way Don would do it?" Probably not, but just the thought of you standing beside me makes it seem like I actually know what I'm doing. That's a big help.

Wish you were here, my friend, to help me some more.

-Frank

Old 10-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank J Warner
Hello there, Mr. Don Robinson. Imagine that you would reply. How are things in the south part of Tejas? Muy Bueno, I hope. Still kicking out here in CA. No earthquakes, and none of them dreadfull big winds like you get every year.

Unfortunately, your link gives me this uninformative message when I click the CPM154 link:

File Under Revision
Please check back later

Sounds ominous. Maybe I should consider another line of work, but I'm too old for the street corner.

-Frank
Yeah, but if you try the plain 154CM link it works fine. The information there should work for you.

We haven't had any damage other than a half dozen loose shingles here this year. We were out of town at the TKCA show when Dolly hit about 30 miles north of us. We waited it out for a few days and drove back thru one of the outer bands all the way to Corpus, then we had clear sailing home.

I sold out at the TKCA show. 9 folders, everything I had. It actually makes me sad to know there are no knives on my shelves. I feel like I've lost all my old friends. Come see us and take a few days off.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Robinson
Yeah, but if you try the plain 154CM link it works fine. The information there should work for you.
Got it. Thanks. It was a PDF file. Had to search "knife steels" to find it.

-Frank

Old 10-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Interesting that you use your mill on the razors. I just replaced my mill with a new Bridgeport clone from Taiwan/China. It's a long story. Been shut down for 2 months, but it's all set up and I've used it to start a slipjoint pocket knife for a customer.

Frank, I'm really tired out. Knifemaking is my life's love, but I don't think I'll take any more orders for designs that I don't enjoy doing. I've always accommodated anyone's ideas if they are practical, but from now on if I make a knife it'll have to be something I'd want to do for myself. Fortunately, this current folder is for a former customer and all he wants is a slipjoint pocket knife with a 2 3/4" blade, the rest is up to me.

Did you know I have a knifemaking DVD on the market? If not, there's a little information on my websites. It teaches how to make a locking liner barlow pocket knife doing it "My Way".

Take care friend. And I'm serious about the invite. Any time. We have lots of room. We'll build a couple of knives together.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Master

I would first try a subcritical anneal at 1200-1300 F though they don't mention this as an anneal . If that doesn't do it try the recommended anneal.
I would suggest you get CPM154 next time .Makers and users are very happy with it.

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives