MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 02-05-2005, 08:39 PM
Steel Addict

Flashlight Fun

Here is something that is great engraving project for beginners and experts alike. Mag-Lite Flashlights. These are functional works of art that everyone needs and will last a lifetime. I would guess that over the last 10 years I have engraved 75 of these. Some of the ones I have done were a specific commission, but most were appreciation gifts to friends or business partners. Most of what I did were script letters or monograms, but some have had coat of arms, or even peoples houses engraved on them. It's a little bit different than gun and knife engraving because you are working "negative" with the engraving cuts being bright as opposed to normally being dark, but its easily adjusted to on simple projects. The beauty of doing these mag-lites , that you have a nice flat end cap on the butt to work on, is that they are 1) relatively cheap 2) everyone needs a good flashlight 3) they are quick to layout and execute and 4) they fit in the vise real easy and 5) best of all for you beginners, and even some of us doing it a bit longer ...if you really screw up , there is plenty of material and you can easily file the whole butt back down, and you can engrave it over again correctly. Of course, you end up with a silver round shape instead of the colored anodizing, but 99% of the people who see it will never know it was'nt supposed to be that way.

The ones in this picture are some that I did last week to give to members of the Anschutz family at the SHOT show (Anschutz being a name you might recognize if you are into accurate rifles). If you want to see some of the pictures I took at SHOT click here

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=10134
Attached Images
File Type: jpg flashlightfun2.jpg (23.1 KB, 219 views)

Last edited by pilkguns; 02-05-2005 at 08:50 PM.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Steel Addict

Scott:

The amazing thing about engraving is there never seems to be an end to the canvases to paint on.

I had a lady come to me with a $20 steel business card holder, and that worked out fine. It also led into a $200 gold pendant remake. Thanks for the additional idea. I'll have to make one for my briefcase, to inspect color change stones, and to show off to potential clients.

Tags
knife