MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-20-2006, 08:43 PM

First shots new D50

WOW
All I can say is WOW.
After a total playing time of about 1/2 hour. This is what I ended up with. Full auto except WB -1. No other adjustments.
A couple of things I have had to get used to real quick was the fact that you can't see what you are going to shoot on the screen, you have to look through the viewfinder. At least I haven't figured out how yet.
Amazing, Amazing, Amazing
Once again just proves to me that trying to save money on equipment is simply a slow way to go broke. This is camera #4 and I should have started here and saved myself a bundle.
Steve

Old 01-20-2006, 08:44 PM

Is there some way of attaching a bigger picture. This isn't nearly as clear as I can see it on my screen before upload?
Steve

Old 01-20-2006, 08:59 PM
Registered

Steve, great improvement, huge!
Attached files are limited to 100k or 600x600pixels here.
To show bigger pictures you will need to host the images on your web site or a free web site like photobucket.com or a pay one like fototime.com (several here use fototime). You upload your picture to your host (which ever it is), create a link and you can insert the link into a message.

Below you can see a photo from your own web site. (If this bothers you let me know and I'll pull it) I got this by right clicking on the photo (large one), opening the 'properties' and then copying the address. In the forum here in a message, click the insert image icon, past the address you just copied, hit enter. Done.
I didn't look up your host so I couldn't even guess how much bandwith you have per month but a few pictures here and there shouldn't be a problem maxing you out.

Here is what the inserted line looks like that actually shows the image. I've replaced the very first [ character with a * to disable the line. Just below this line is a copy but it works that is what pulls the image in from your host and pops it up here.
*IMG]http://www.vanderkolffknives.com/images/stag%20drop%20pop.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Skilled

HEY NO FAIR! You already got your camera and I'm still waiting! Well I guess that's what I get for living in the middle of nowhere! Ha Ha Ha.

Good to see the camera is working well for you. It is my understanding that the DSLR's don't allow you to view the subject with the screen, only through the viewfinder like a normal SLR. One thing I did discover when doing some reading on this camera is that you can have it hooked up to a laptop when taking the pics and they will be directly downloaded to the computer (with the right software I assume). That way you could immediately see the image on a large screen and know if it worked out for you. Of course this is assuming you have a laptop.

Have fun.

Sean

Knifemaker's Guild - Voting Member
Custom Knife Collectors Association

Homepage: www.oharecustomknives.com
Email: sean@oharecustomknives.com
Old 01-22-2006, 02:35 PM

Steve, you are going to find that you have another problem. Now every piece of dust is going to show up and you'll have to really be careful in wiping down everything before you take the shot. Good looking work and a nice start for a new camera.

Last edited by Terrill Hoffman; 01-22-2006 at 02:37 PM.
Old 01-22-2006, 04:28 PM
Guru

Fantastic Photos Steve. Im preparing a room in the house that has a little Nook that my wife couldnt figure out what to do with so out of 3900 Sq Feet of house I have just aquired my own 9 sq ft of it. Its going to make a great Photo Booth Nook. No I just need to upgrade camera and try to figure out how to take photos like that.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-22-2006, 04:35 PM

Smart choice and obvious results. Good for YOU!

I was very confused when I converted from my Sony F-717 which had a viewscreen that I could swivel to any position to the look-into-the-viewfinder of the DSLR. At this point it is second nature and I lost my need, but it was a bummer for a while.

Running right into a laptop or computer on-the-spot made a nice difference in the quality of my work. Look into it.

Keep at it!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-09-2006, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast

I?m glad to see your enjoying your new D50. I?ve had mine for 6 or 8 weeks now and I feel exactly as you do. I have taken a few knife pictures with it, but its purpose was really for outdoor pictures for a publication I?m putting together. Coming from a cheap, stick your toe in the water, digital camera and the Nikon SLR film cameras it is very, very neat. What lens or lenses did you get with yours?

Tags
knife