MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-08-2013, 05:12 PM
Skilled

Problem with accra glas

I recently completed a knife where I used hard maple for the scales. I used acra-glas as the adhesive for bonding to the blade. Upon completing the necessary sanding etc., I decided to try using the acra-glas as a final finish on the wooden scales. I applied the mixture to the outer surface of the scales and waited. It has now been three weeks, and the surface is still very tacky and has never cured. I am certain that the mixture was correct, but the humidity has admittedly been very high. I have tried heating it and even tried applying some more of the hardener in the hopes that it might help the curing process...but it has not helped. I have used acra-glas many times and never had this type of problem before. At this point, I believe it is necessary to remove the acra-glas from the wood, but I have no idea as to how to do this. Does anyone know of a solvent or process that can either remove it from the wood surface or to cause it to finally cure. I'm open to all suggestions.
Old 09-09-2013, 10:49 AM

I hate to say it ED, but it's almost impossible for this stuff to not have hardened by now if the mixture was even close to correct, (been using Acraglass for over 15 yrs and had this happen a couple times myself) and after analyzing my steps I found my distractions were to blame both times. I have had the product take it's sweet time curing a number of times and started looking at my measuring techniques and find myself rounding up the measurements, and when I get really stern about dead level on the measuring the stuff kicks over really well getting so hot I couldn't handle the cup. Acetone should clean it off ok, but I invested in a QT of the Acraglass solvent/thinner couple yrs ago and it works very well(I also use it for thinning my mix as it dissipates the air bubbles fast. The thinner WILL slow the hardening process just a bit, as will the dye I sometimes use(even though they say it won't). Just a little too much of the resin, or hardener, than called for, will make a difference. Hope this helps. Wes
Old 09-09-2013, 01:22 PM
Skilled

Boy, do I feel dumb. Having reached the point of desperation, I finally resorted to trying to clean off the scales myself. To my amazement, it simply washed off with cold water. I've tried to remove it after it has cured, and hardly anything will touch it, and I figured that it would be a real bear to get it off. How simple can it get! evidently, my mixture was off somewhat even though I am careful. I just count the drips as it goes into my mixing cup and I,ve never had a problem before. Not sure what happened, but it was an easy fix.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:26 AM
Master

I use syringes to measure my acraglass. Cheap and precise to the T. However, I've also had problems with polyurethane curing on certain woods, woods like rosewood etc that have natural resins. Spray it on and its sticky indefinitely. Don't know if its the same thing but maybe?

Tags
bee, blade, cold, easy, handle, hot, how to, knife, make, problem, resin, rosewood, scales, simple, spray, surface, woods