MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 06-09-2015, 07:24 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I can tell you from experience....you will be totally unhappy trying to mill 1/8" Ti on a Taig. I just got back from the Blade Show....and have been needing to replace my benchtop mill for a while now....and its gona happen. Personally, I'm going to order the G0704 mill from Grizzly. Its not as large as I'd like to go, but is will suffice for the smaller job. (I also own a full size knee mill).... A couple of my friends have purchased this mill, and have had good success with it.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 06-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Thank you for the feedback, Ed. This is exactly the info I've been looking for! The Taig Mini-Mill appealed to me because of its size and also because I'd heard good things from a few folks regarding its milling abilities (although not on tough materials such as Ti). As you mentioned, my fear is that it wouldn't be strong enough. In other words, I really don't want to end up purchasing the Mini-Mill (Taig) only to find out that it is insufficient for what I want it to do. That would be bad. The thickest Ti I've worked with so far was 0.138" on a frame-lock. It was not fun to cut using my Dremel.

I am fairly new to making folders (especially frame-locks). I've successfully made a handful of Liner Locks and frame-locks using my variable speed Dremel and with using various attachments, but I'd like to be able to tighten up the tolerances on my folders. I assume that I can do this with a mill. (I.e. I can hopefully achieve higher tolerances by milling out pieces for my folders vs. trying to use my drill press and belt grinders to make my pieces). Does this make sense? It is tough for me to describe what I intend to use a mill for because I have zero knowledge or experience using a mill (of any kind).

I will certainly take a look at the Grizzly mill. Please let me know your thoughts once you get yours up and running, if you would. I am in no rush; I'll probably wait until this fall to purchase a mill.

Thanks again, Ed. I appreciate your help and insight on this.

All the best,

Michael
Old 07-08-2015, 01:39 PM

Small Mill

I went through this same effort about a year and a half ago and decided to get a used full size mill but it didn't work out. They were everywhere before I made a decision but when I decided to pull the trigger, they disappeared. I ended up trading a 200 pound Peter Wright anvil for bench top Rong Fu 30 mill. It sits on a stand in the corner of my shop and has quickly become invaluable to me and I am not sure how I did without it before. It does have its limitations but I am making knives, not milling engine blocks.
Gary
Old 07-08-2015, 06:45 PM
Skilled

Michael, I was able to purchase a used no-name benchtop mill. 2HP r8 collet machine that is great. As Gary said "it is invaluable".
I am pretty sure the gentleman whom I bought the machine from purchased it from whole sale tool. Here is the website for them that I found. I am like you in that I don't have a lot of room, but I was able to make room for this. Good Luck to you!

http://www.wttool.com/index/page/cat...gory_id/16710/

Best Regards,
Alex

"We shall walk with a walk that is measured and slow,
And watch where the chalk-white arrows go
To the place where the sidewalk ends." Shel Silverstein

Last edited by ATalley; 07-08-2015 at 11:49 PM.
Old 08-22-2015, 10:16 PM

Thank you, Gary and Alex, for the information on the mills. I will certainly look at the website you provided, Alex. I appreciate the help with this.

I am hopeful to get a mill here in the very near future (maybe for my b-day in Sept.). We'll see what happens.
Old 08-22-2015, 11:38 PM

Hi guys,

Quick question on the G0704 mill from Grizzly. According to the Grizzly website, the max drilling capacity for drilling steel on this mill is 5/8." So my question is, how difficult would it be to mill a piece of 1/8" thick titanium?

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Old 09-09-2015, 03:20 PM

Exclamation mill setup

you might look at the bigger mills. even though they are 3 phase.Enco and other manufacturers offer.p that converts single phase from your source to 3 phase at the machine
Old 09-09-2015, 10:31 PM

Lightbulb mills

just for info,I had a G0704. It would not do what i thought it should.If you get something like a G0754 w/dro it will do about any job except for something that would require hogging lot of metal at once. For that you would need a full size mill

Tags
advice, anvil, back, bee, belt, blade, drill, education, knife, knife making, knives, lock, made, make, making, materials, mill, peter wright, press, sale, shop, show, small, steel, titanium