MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Registered

Ddr3-bl

I have DDR3-BL on the way, (backordered till July 15th) and am looking forward to it.
Since it will be a while till it gets here, I thought I would ask some questions.
1.How much grinding, fitting, drilling, tapping is required? I think I have the tools enough to do most things required, but am wondering how much time must I spend on it.
2.How detailed are the instructions? Must I spend a long time trying to figure out what they mean in the instructions.
3. Do the liners come in really flat? I know if they are not flat, the blade will not park in the center of the handle.

Just a few random thoughts while impatiently waiting for my kit to arrive.
Old 07-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Super Moderator

There is very little that needs to be done to the knife. You could put it together with just the little screw####### and be done. The instructions are pretty good, but I'd recommend that you read them thoroughly before you get started.

Having said that, if you want the knife to look nice and to function well, there is some 'fit-and-finish' work that needs to be done. Fine sandpaper and patience will do the trick just fine. A little bit of oil.

Sears carries the little screw####### for about a buck apiece, if you find that you don't have that covered.

It's a well designed knife and a good project. Be patient and get it right - you'll end up with a knife that you will really enjoy!

Old 07-07-2006, 02:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Tex,
That is good news! So, I will just hang in there and wait.
Old 07-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Enthusiast

You'll get a couple of 'Zip Lock' bags with all the little parts in there. The parts are well done and the fit is real good; but, the finish has yet to be completed. (Did you order handle material pre made or will you supply your own?)
Read the directions, take your time. You'll need a couple of small Torx screw#######.
If you'd like to see one that was just completed, look down the list a few threads to;
MY CUSTOM (finally) DDR3-BL and check out the pictures.
There is a hughe amount of really good information here and you'll get great responce from your questions.

Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 AM
Registered

Unhappy

Well, got word today the kits are 10 days from shipping. Another delay is not good news. I was fired up when I first ordered back in June, now it will be (maby) August when it gets here. Wow, talk about delayed gratification.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:26 AM

GW,
We do our very best to have our deliveries on time.
We do have to deal with HUMANS!
Please be patient we will have the knives before you know it!
Old 07-17-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered

I waited over two months for my DDR GunHammer Radian and would have gladly waited two more!! DDR is very busy as most custom knifemakers are. I can assure you it was well worth the wait!
Old 07-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Registered

Thank you DR, for the quick response. Yes I am usually patient, but it's summer and hot and I need something to do.
Thanks!
Old 07-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Registered

Joy, my kit came in last evening. Good looking stuff! I will like this knife.
I'm working on the learning curve, takes me a while. This is early on, but:
I have a question on what to do about the not so flat liners. The blade does not bear evenly on the washer area as a result (blade does not move easily). Also, the same issue, the bolsters do not lay flat aganist the liners (air gap).

I am going to work on and maby, work this out. It will be fun any how.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:04 PM
Super Moderator

Remember that part about the 'fine sandpaper and a little work'? That's what makes it turn into a nice project.

No factory can afford to spend the time to make everything fit perfectly. They use shortcuts in design to get them past that. That's one of the reasons a custom knife demands more respect than a factory knife. Kit knives like this one are a good place to start in learning about fit and finish.

Tags
blade, knife, knives