MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-07-2017, 09:29 AM

Blade show 2017

This is my first year going to blade show. I've hear that this is a huge event and very overwhelming. I have the early bird for Friday. My question is how early should I get there Friday morning? Do lots of people start lining up early With early bird tickets?
Old 05-07-2017, 01:49 PM
Guru

Its my first year too. So I don't know how early people show up but I have been told the parking garage is huge that you will find a spot but it may be a decent walk...one reason I got my hotel very close if I have to I could walk so something to keep in mind. Did you pay for a early ticket? or is it a voucher given to you from a maker with the table? I have a voucher and have been told 2 different things one person told me that even with the voucher you have to wait on line another said that there is a separate line with the voucher so that may effect your time waiting to get in. Personally I am going to get there as early as possible I would rather wait a lil bit early to get in the front of the line than wait 2 hours at the back of the line
Old 05-07-2017, 05:52 PM

I have the early bird ticket. I definitely would rather be too early and be at the front of the line instead of the back. I'm driving two hours so I just didn't know how early I should leave
Old 05-07-2017, 06:49 PM
Skilled

you could camp out in the hall way outside the night before in a knife shaped sleeping bag.
Old 05-08-2017, 06:47 AM
Guru

Haha... Hey man I would love to drive only 2 hours its a 17 hour trip for me
Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
The Blade Show is certainly a unique experience in the cutlery world. People come from all over the world to exhibit/attend. I've been attending for 20+ years, and the crowds are slightly different each year...the one thing that doesn't change, and that's always exciting, is to watch the doors open to the general public on Friday.... those with the "early bird" passes are allowed in an hour prior to the show opening to the general public, but either way there is always a line.

Vendors are allowed to enter the show room at 8am, and there is usually a small line of folks waiting then. As it gets closer to noon, I've seen the line going down the hall and out the doors and into the parking lot.

It's not uncommon to see people running when the doors open to the public. Most who have attended before will "map out" where they want to get to first....usually for about the first hour of the show, it's a "feeding frenzy", until the most popular makers are sold out, then the crowds start strategic routes around the show floor, checking out what remains. If this is your first time there, be prepared, you've never seen anything like the Blade Show.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-08-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanks Ed this answered my question
Old 05-08-2017, 10:15 AM
Guru

Ya know with your description Ed It sounds like many events and places here in NY. The summer jam concert comes to mind its a bunch of singers and they PACK people into the giants football stadium...and I mean they pack it people on the field everything and starting at about 6am the parking lot is like a huge "tailgate party" with all sorts of crazy stuff going on, even with the crowd its a fun time....Everything here in NY is hurry up and wait. I waited on a line that went out the door and 3 blocks down one time JUST TO GET INTO THE BRONX COURT HOUSE LOL as I said we have a fast city here but tthis hurry up and wait aspect accompanies all of it.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:19 AM
Guru

OH and that time I waited on line for hours to get into the court house the judge had the nerve to yell at me for being later PITA
Old 05-08-2017, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I only have one word for your situation...... MOVE!

I was in NYC last year about this time, and no matter how many times I go there, the same thought is always in my mind..... "How the heck could anybody WANT to live here?" A "traffic jam" here in MT usually involves a heard of ellk crossing a road, and "crowded" usually means there's one person in front of you at the store.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-08-2017, 05:04 PM
Steel Addict

I go with a VIP pass every year on Friday. There will be a long line but it does not take all that long to get in.
Doug
Jn. 3:16
Old 05-08-2017, 05:06 PM
Steel Addict

I go with a VIP pass every year on Friday. There will be a long line but it does not take all that long to get in. This reminds me, I need to be looking for a pass. I would love to have a vendor pass to get in Fri. morning but have never had one of those.
Doug
Jn. 3:16
Old 05-08-2017, 07:54 PM
Guru

I wanted to go with Dave (dtec), but am moving to New Mexico in June and just cannot afford the expense which is bumming me out as I wanted to meet you Mr. Caffrey. You don't ever make it down to the huge Farmers Market in Las Cruces NM do you?

Old 05-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Guru

I meant to change the Master designation under my name as I joined on as skilled, but by no means am I a master. Is it avatar and not signature?

Old 05-09-2017, 12:01 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey View Post
I only have one word for your situation...... MOVE!

I was in NYC last year about this time, and no matter how many times I go there, the same thought is always in my mind..... "How the heck could anybody WANT to live here?" A "traffic jam" here in MT usually involves a heard of ellk crossing a road, and "crowded" usually means there's one person in front of you at the store.
Elk.... in Great Falls..... not likely.

but I do remember when a herd of buffalo escaped and ran down 10th.

Tags
2017, art, back, ball, bee, blade, blade show, common, cutlery, first time, georgia, hand, knife, knifemaking, knives, make, makers, man, mexico, ore, profile, show, small, store, welding