MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------
New Posts | New PhotosAll Photos



Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-06-2019, 08:20 PM
Tex65 Tex65 is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 56
Last few

My last few. Still learning but getting things figured out. Grinds are getting better. First two attempts at bolsters. Brass was the first and the stainless was the second. As always feedback is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-09-2019, 10:23 AM
jimmontg jimmontg is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Now live in Las Cruces NM.
Posts: 1,252
Nice looking knives.

As far as I can see, they look pretty good for a freshman knife maker. You know I almost never make a bolster. I will make a small guard, but other than that I seldom make a bolster except for cosmetics. The knife without a bolster is what I usually do. I sand the front of the handle material down to about 1.5 mm. on the forward edge. I only use a bolster if I'm using a brittle wood like ebony or recon gemstone to protect it from chipping. Each knife maker has their own preferences. Do not mistake me, there isn't anything wrong with doing a bolster. It is just a matter of preference.
Good looking knives, keep it up. BTW what kind of steel are the blades made from? Stainless 440c or 1080?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM
M&J's Avatar
M&J M&J is offline
Skilled
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 499
Looking good! Would be nice to see a larger pic so we can see more details. Are you marking them with your name or logo?


__________________
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-10-2019, 08:37 AM
argel55 argel55 is offline
Steel Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Chandler, Oklahoma
Posts: 232
Only thing I would say is that one the one with 4 small pins they are a little too close to the edge to my liking. I normally set them 3/16 in from the edge.The other ones look good.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:11 PM
Tex65 Tex65 is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 56
Thanks for taking a look. I知 doing the bolsters to learn how and practice. Seem to make the blade heavy. All the blades are O1. What angle do you do? Steep or more of a taper? Thanks again for taking a look and the feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:13 PM
Tex65 Tex65 is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
As far as I can see, they look pretty good for a freshman knife maker. You know I almost never make a bolster. I will make a small guard, but other than that I seldom make a bolster except for cosmetics. The knife without a bolster is what I usually do. I sand the front of the handle material down to about 1.5 mm. on the forward edge. I only use a bolster if I'm using a brittle wood like ebony or recon gemstone to protect it from chipping. Each knife maker has their own preferences. Do not mistake me, there isn't anything wrong with doing a bolster. It is just a matter of preference.
Good looking knives, keep it up. BTW what kind of steel are the blades made from? Stainless 440c or 1080?
The reply below was meant for you.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:17 PM
Tex65 Tex65 is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 56
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Looking good! Would be nice to see a larger pic so we can see more details. Are you marking them with your name or logo?
I値l work on the bigger picture. I知 trying to come up a logo. Thanks for the feedback. Your stuff is awesome.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-10-2019, 07:21 PM
Tex65 Tex65 is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by argel55 View Post
Only thing I would say is that one the one with 4 small pins they are a little too close to the edge to my liking. I normally set them 3/16 in from the edge.The other ones look good.
Something I need to work on. Done a couple with pins close to edge all came out the same way. I do need to start paying more attention to layout. Thanks for taking a look and the feedback.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-11-2019, 10:06 PM
jimmontg jimmontg is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Now live in Las Cruces NM.
Posts: 1,252
On your grinds Tex?

On knife one that grind looks pretty good, not too steep and closer to the spine than the edge by a good margin. That is how I tend to grind my hunting knives, close to the spine, not doing a scandi grind.
The second knife could stand to be a little shallower, but not bad.
Now the third knife the blade isn't as wide as the other two and the grind looks a little steep and would look better at a shallower grind.

Now how thick is your steel? Reason I ask is if you're using thicker 5/32 steel you need to take your grinds almost all the way to the spine as that is pretty thick for a medium hunter like you have here. 1/8 in is what I make medium hunters from, slices better. Except for number three they are pretty nice, not too steep and maybe could be a bit shallower, but not enough to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-15-2019, 06:04 PM
Tex65 Tex65 is online now
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Austin Texas
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
On knife one that grind looks pretty good, not too steep and closer to the spine than the edge by a good margin. That is how I tend to grind my hunting knives, close to the spine, not doing a scandi grind.
The second knife could stand to be a little shallower, but not bad.
Now the third knife the blade isn't as wide as the other two and the grind looks a little steep and would look better at a shallower grind.

Now how thick is your steel? Reason I ask is if you're using thicker 5/32 steel you need to take your grinds almost all the way to the spine as that is pretty thick for a medium hunter like you have here. 1/8 in is what I make medium hunters from, slices better. Except for number three they are pretty nice, not too steep and maybe could be a bit shallower, but not enough to worry about.
I知 using 1/8 O1. Working on a couple more right now. Working on getting higher grinds.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-15-2019, 07:03 PM
M&J's Avatar
M&J M&J is offline
Skilled
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex65 View Post
I値l work on the bigger picture. I知 trying to come up a logo. Thanks for the feedback. Your stuff is awesome.
One suggestion to lighten the knife and provide for epoxy would be to hollow and drill the handle area. This is what I do for the full tang ones:



Thanks. The ongoing pursuit to refine and improve one's craftsmanship skills.


__________________
Mike
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-15-2019, 07:16 PM
jimmontg jimmontg is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Now live in Las Cruces NM.
Posts: 1,252
Practice makes perfect Tex. I still use a jig on hollow grinds as that is the only way I get consistent grinds with the equipment I have. I've only ever had a 2x72 was at the college in Burnsville North Carolina. I traded teaching advanced TIG welding technique for forge and trip hammer time. They had a nice jig for hollow grinding. Worked real well on my damascus. Here in New Mexico I don't have access to a forge any longer, but I have about 30 knives heat treated and just needing to be finished. I have some Nicholson files that I need to temper and grind down as well as some O1 I never got around to ht. It's 3/16th thick and originally was going to be a boar hunting knife, but the guy ended up in prison and I ground them down, but stopped after I heard what happened to him. Not too many people want to hunt wild boars with a knife, but it's a set with one big blade and two skinners. I prefer not to ht the O1 in a forge so as to get the best possible quality out of the steel, although that is how I started heat treating in a charcoal forge a long time ago. I'd ht a few knives and then cook dinner. lol
.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
440c, a, awesome, blade, blades, bolster, bolsters, brass, ca, edge, guard, handle, handle material, knife, knives, logo, made, marking, material, sand, small, stainless, steel, what kind, wood


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:41 PM.




KNIFENETWORK.COM
Copyright © 2000
? CKK Industries, Inc. ? All Rights Reserved
Powered by ...

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
The Knife Network : All Rights Reserved