MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM

Arrow Knife Collecting Software

Hi all,

I am a collector and a software developer. Many years ago I developed NM Gun Collector Software which was very well received by the gun collecting community. However, being written in Microsoft proprietary technology it had its limitations and problems as Microsoft continued to develop the windows operating system until it got the point where major changes in the underlying technology would be required to keep up with Microsoft. At that point in time I decided to create a whole new product using non-proprietary technologies.

In addition, I had many people ask me if my old software would run on the Mac or on Linux. Of course, the only way that could be done was with a windows emulator which is costly and can be unreliable. Finally, some people rightly pointed out that my drop down list for selecting the gun to look at or edit in the software was difficult to use for large collections.

Since I was starting a new product from scratch I decided to make it more flexible than my original NM Gun Collector software. I developed it around the concept of templates so the same program can be used for any type of collection. These templates can be modified and new ones can be created for new collection types. I also decided to use a tree view as the main interface for selecting the items to view and edit.

All of these factors and more went into my "new" (its been out for three years now) NM Collector Software which I would like to ask this community to review and comment on. Of course, the focus of this review is of my knife collecting template and how to make it better. But I welcome any comments on any aspects of the software.

You can download the software for free. You can use the full feature version for 30 days. At that point you get the free version which does not have as many features but is still usable for many people. If you wish to continue to use the full feature version you can purchase it.

Since this software is so flexible and has so many features, it might be a little difficult to understand at first. Please take a few minutes to quickly review the Home Inventory example to see an overview of how it works.

Here are some screen shots of the knife collecting template. Please let me know what you think.

Identification Tab ... Enter key identification information including bar codes.

Description Tab ... Add key information to describe the item. Add additional fields if you wish. See the "More tab" below for additional custom fields.

Pictures Tab ... Add one or more pictures and Notes for each picture. More features will be added in the future for zooming and resizing.

Receipt Tab ... Enter who you acquired the item from, the date you acquired it and how much you paid for it. Include additional custom fields if you wish.

Disposition Tab ... Enter who you disposed the item to, the date you disposed of it and how much you were paid for it. Include additional custom fields if you wish.

More Tab ... Add even more custom fields.

Statistics Screen ... Review summary information and detailed information for each item. Double click any line to go to the corresponding item. Click a heading to sort by that column. You can also export your data to Comma Delimited (MS Excel) and XML files from this page. This picture shows Firearms selected but knives will show knife specific fields.

Sample Report ...

Thanks,

Clay Pryor
nmCollector.net LLC

- Mathew 6:20 - 21
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM

Hi Clay,

This is a smart idea and can benefit many. Thanks for asking if it was OK to pitch it here. It is.

I wish you well.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-19-2011, 08:01 AM

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpByCoop View Post
Hi Clay,

This is a smart idea and can benefit many. Thanks for asking if it was OK to pitch it here. It is.

I wish you well.

Coop
Thank you. I have some knives that I like but I can not call myself a knife collector so I may not have gotten the template right so I am looking for feedback.

Clay

- Mathew 6:20 - 21

Tags
collecting, collecting software, collector, collector software, custom, files, knife, knives, software