MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:52 AM

Ddr3bl

I know this is a popular knife, so I hope someone will have a trick up their sleeve that will help. This it my first kit knife. I've made knives for a while, but not folders. Anyway, I'm building the DDR3BL with the coil spring. What I've found I don't like is that if I tighten The pivot screw tight enough so that there is no wobble in the blade its to tight to open. Does anyone know how to get the least amount of wobble, and still have it loose enough to open? Thank you.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:50 PM
Enthusiast

I just made one of these for my very first ever knife kit. I polished every single surface that moves or comes in contact with another. I was able to tighten the pivot screw down to almost negligable side to side movement in the blade and it works very smooth. Spring out and the blade just flips open and with the spring , it works automatically very fast.
I am looking forward to doing another one............

Old 11-16-2007, 08:11 PM
Master

I mount my DDR3BLs with a little molibdenum greasa in the moving parts and it works very well!!
Regards:Alberto
Old 11-18-2007, 11:18 AM

Guarnera,

What trick are you using to get the pivot screw that tight? Mine just start to spin and i cant keep enough pressure on the flush side to really get a good crank on it.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:00 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
I just finished one also. Mine locks up tight . I polished the surface areas and used some teflon oil.Did you polish the washer area ?Maybe you have the scales backwards? I did that at first and had the same problem. Washers go raised towards the inside of blade.

Good luck

Dave
Old 11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
Steel Addict

It may be that the spacers between scales are ever-so-slightly too tall. You may need to polish a few thousandths of an inch of the the spacer thickness to get all of the wobble out. This possibility is greater if you are using the optional backspine.

A well fitting knife, without wobble, is a fine tuned machine.

Good luck,

Mike L.
Old 11-26-2007, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandjeep
Guarnera,

What trick are you using to get the pivot screw that tight? Mine just start to spin and i cant keep enough pressure on the flush side to really get a good crank on it.

No trick. Just tighten by hand with a torx driver.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:47 PM

I don't belive you can remove all of the side-to-side "wobble" as the coil spring has to have space to wind and release.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:39 AM
Master

Some of the ones I put together did spin when tigtening the pivot screw,and I got it out and worked it in an out to clean up the "lock tight" on the screw which was stopping it from bottoming!!The older backspines were slightly thick,but new ones are the same size as the small round spacers,and all should work ok!!I had no problem in 15 DDR3BL I put together!!All work flawlessly!!
Good luck!!
Albert
Old 12-07-2007, 12:35 PM

on the same note as locking mechanism assembly...is there a way to make the DDR3BL a left-hander?
Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 AM
Enthusiast

I press the button with my index finger. This also works as a manual because you can then use your thumb to deploy the blade.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:53 AM

THx for the reply baturn. I'm considering to assemble a DDR3L for a female friend of mine and she's left handed, so I thought a left-handed BL would be quite neat.

Tags
blade, knife, knives