MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 01-17-2006, 03:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Searles unveiled !

Every once in awhile something fantastic turns up on the forums. This is one of them. I got a chuckle of how offhand Warru post his pic of "PawPaw's knife". I figured this piece of Bowie history was locked away in a museum somewhere.
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=383470

Old 01-17-2006, 04:47 PM

When Mark Zalesky comes onto the playing field, you KNOW it's caused some eyes to open. Good one!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 01-17-2006, 11:30 PM
Hall of Famer

This Bowie is one of the few that has the Bowie brothers connection. The story goes that Resin Bowie commisioned this bowie from Daniel Searles. Searles was a sugical instrument maker in Baton Rouge circa 1830's. Not only is the knife clearly marked, it is also well documented. I would not say this is a great find because it was not lost. If put up for auction I would fully expect it to close at least a half a million dollars. Not bad for a chocolate chip cookie cutter.(priceless) That guess is based on the Sam Houston Bowie selling for almost a quarter million a few years back. Even with the doubt of the Houston's authenticity and crude construction the Americana of it, priced into the stratosphere. The Searles with its drool factor should shoot it out of sight! Lots of Searles copies have been made in homage of this icon over the years. I think I will post some pics of my favorites. Here is a shot of the original from my copy of The Antique Bowie Knife Book by Adams Voyles and Moss.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-17-2006 at 11:59 PM.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:59 AM
Hall of Famer

What a wonderful design to emulate. These makers take it to a new level of beauty.

Old 01-19-2006, 07:13 PM
Hall of Famer

Where are all the bowie lovers? Me and Coop the only ones that find this FANTASTIC? No thoughts, ideas or questions?

Old 01-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Guru

No Roc, you are not alone. I think the rest of us are just speechless. I showed my wife the thread, and she said if it was hers, she would sell it, heathan.

It would be a cool one to do a repro of. Maybe when I get good.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 01-19-2006, 07:54 PM
Hall of Famer

I would seal it in a glass case and use it as a ticket to every knife show in the country. It is on my list of knives to repro someday. I have a plan for an unplugged primative version. The surgical instrument makers have a certain flair for the wickedly sharp look. I had no idea the spine was so thick on that one. As many times as have looked at that pic, cut, cropped and framed it. I did not notice the mirror image of the Searles mark in gold on the spine. Get that grinder set up yet? Looking forward to pics.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:12 PM
Steel Addict

Hey Roc

If you could would you name the makers of these you posted? This type of work takes my breath and I would like to see other examples of their knives.

Thank you, Tony
Old 01-19-2006, 08:22 PM
Hall of Famer

1. Gill Hibben
2. John Harvey
3. Ted Vance
4. Rob? Patton
5. Buster Warenski (miniature)

Old 01-19-2006, 08:59 PM
Steel Addict

Roc

Thank you. Now I can begin my hunt.

I know you have Voss' book and probably Flayderman's. I just bought Minnis' American Primitive Knives, and just missed Madison Grant's book. What else would you recommend for research. I am especially interested in Early American fixed blades.

Thank you again, Tony
Old 01-19-2006, 09:35 PM
Hall of Famer

I don't have the Flayderman's yet. Nor the Voss. what is the Voss book? I do have the Antique Bowie Knife Book. The William R. Williamson, Butterfield Cattalog. Old knife digests are a good sourse of lesser known bowie knives and history. 100 legendary knives. A Sure Defence has a bunch of neat old bowie pics, altho they are mostly Ozzy. The only price guides I have are the Levines and The Antique American Switchblade. As for books I would like to have, all of these, page one and two. plus the ones on the out of print page.
Knifeworld books

Old 01-19-2006, 09:47 PM
Guru

Roc,

Got the table built, the motor controller wired and put on a panel, the panel mounted to the table (two uprights behind the motor), the motor mounted, and the grinder bolted down and ready to go. Fired her up, and had problems. Debugged, and the motor looks good (I can get her to start), got it down to the controller from Minarik. Talked to Minarik (great company, talked to me for about 10 minutes, then he needed more info, so he went, got it, and called me back immediately and helped me work through the issue, all on a salvaged part). Anyway, tracked it to the probablity that the SCR was blown on the board.

So, I bought this off of e-bay, so I called the guy selling them (runs a business salvaging gear). Asked him if he had one that he had tested and was known good. Figured I would buy another if it was known good. He started explaining to me that they hadn't used these, but had pulled them working from a clean room. I then explained the reason I was asking, I had bought the motor and controller from him, and had tracked w/ help from Minarik the problem to the controller. At this point, he stops me, and says that this isn't my problem, but his. He verifies my info, and tells me he is shipping me another unit that day (yesterday). I expect it next week. From a company that advertises as-is/no warranty, I never expected this. Great company (posted links to his e-bay store in the grinder thread).

So anyway, it is ready to go, just waiting on the new controller. I'll post a new thread when it is running.

--Carl

Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 PM
Steel Addict

Roc

Sorry my mistake, I meant Moss as in "The Antique Bowie Knife Book" Adams, Voyles and Moss.

Thanks for the link. There are reviews there also, I didn't realize that.

Have you ever seen this book, "Counterfeiting Antique Cutlery"? Gerald Witcher. I am interested in the period look and achieving this in new construction.

Now, is it to be tools or reference library? Too much time too little cash.

Thanks for the help, I surely do appreicate it, Tony
Old 01-19-2006, 10:04 PM
Hall of Famer

Good deal! Some good people out there. Minarik is just up the road from me. Funny tho, Rob has them cheaper than you can buy new from the company. He told me why, can't remember. I share your excitement with your new toy. For those who never stood up to one, it is impossible to explain the difference. What is it the Harley guys say? "If I have to explain, you wouldn't understand" Same deal I guess. NOW I understand that saying....lol

Tony as I think about it, I have more books, The Ables Classic Bowie Knives is around here somewhere. I have to get them all together. We got this forum up so we can all learn together. Welcome, and feel free to talk about anything that interests you , or point out something cool you come across.

Old 01-19-2006, 10:14 PM
Guru

Roc, Rob probably has them cheaper since most companies won't sell under their MSRP. Rob probably doesn't take all of the margin built in for him. It is so nice to find someone like this guy. I was happy the first time I dealt with him, now, he will be the first equipment salvage place I hit on the internet. What's more, this unit was about 1/5 of the second cheapest place I could find.

I've been stashing the pictures of this bowie. Maybe come summer we should do a repro run. See how many people we can get in on it, and all make a repro of this knife. Would be interesting to see what comes out of it.

--Carl

Tags
blade, knife, knives, switchblade