MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 12-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Living Legend

Meat tools

This BBQ set is a Christmas gift for a co-worker. It was forged from wrought iron except for the spatula blade which is 9260 to give it some flex/spring. The spatula blade was first peined with 20P nail peices then forge welded to the WI. A little flux and some white heat and then two whacks with the hammer and they became one.

The fork was made by cutting a slit 1/3 the length that the tines were to be. After heating it up I used a chisel to get the slit spread apart. The peice was then re-heated and one tine was bent 90 degrees to get it out of the way while I started drawing/rounding the straight tine. When it was done I then bent the finished one out of the way and started on the other tine. The scroll work on the ends was just a "rat tail" that I hammered out and then rolled up while hot with some pliers and small hammer.

After a 48 hr vinegar soak to get the scale off I cold blued them and sprayed them with corn oil. They were then placed in the oven a seasoned just like a cast iron frying would get. The thong beads are dear antler which I seam to have a surplus of, two more racks showed up in my shop and I don't even know who dropped them off.

I think it is vital to do a few none blade/knife forging projects to get your skills and experience expanded. When you think about it knives require a very small and limited spectrum of forging skills. There are so many other cool but simple techniques for forging that we all should take a slight detour occasionally.

http://groups.msn.com/Brentscustomkn...oto&PhotoID=24
Old 12-10-2005, 11:58 AM
Skilled

Brent
Nice bbq outfit what time will the steaks be coming off the grill.

Regards Bob
Old 12-10-2005, 12:29 PM
Living Legend

If my BBQ grill was big enough I would have all of you over for a glutonizing hammer in. We could play with some thermite and have a good ol time!

Last edited by B.Finnigan; 12-10-2005 at 12:40 PM.

Tags
blade, forging, knife, knives