MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 09-13-2005, 07:52 AM

Copy of joesph Musso Brass back Bowie

Hi fellow knife nuts. I just got my copy of Joesph Musso Braceback. Dennis riley made this copy from a photo I found on the net . Also. The Bowie was loned to a MS in Tex. so he could make a copy. That's where I got the demition for Dennis. By the way check out www.driley@cei.net The blade is 14 1/4" and the overall length is 19 1/4" . The handle is made with ebony and on one side it has two brass pen's and name plate. Dennis also makes his own sheath's
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14.jpg (39.7 KB, 139 views)
File Type: jpg P1010147.JPG-musso bowie-60.jpg (33.6 KB, 150 views)

Old 08-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Skilled

Nice knife, nice work, but not the Musso knife.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:07 PM

copy of joesph Musso Brass back Bowie

WBE, you are correct the knife I posted is not the Joesph Brass Back Bowie. My friend Dennis Riley JS and I designed this for my collection of bowies. Later he made the Musso for me from a set of drawings Of joe Musso.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ONE TO ONE SCALE.jpg (50.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg MUSSO BRASS BACK BOWIE-12.jpg (49.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 4-BOWIE'S.jpg (70.7 KB, 31 views)

Old 08-25-2010, 01:12 PM
Skilled

Here's a copy I made a few years back from that blueprint. Not an easy knife to get right.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Hall of Famer

All work on these knives are great, but WBE, that's an amazingly fantastic knife, copy or not! Congrats on a job well done!
Robert

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-25-2010, 10:18 PM

Copy of Joesph Musso Brass Back Bowie

WBE Wereid you get your working drawing ? You did a great job, when I came across it on the web I was sure it was one of the 9 Mussos that my freind Dennis Riley ABS-JS made, he also said it was hard to forge. Do you know what the black leather washer on the blade side of the guard is for?

Old 08-25-2010, 11:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Is the tang a weak place where it meets the back of the blade? It's sure tiny compared to the rest of the weight of the knife. Seems like there could be a problem if someone was running around chopping
on 2 x 4's and such. Just my thought, I'm no knife engineer!
Robert

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 08-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Skilled

I made my tang 1/2" with a slow taper to probably 3/4's the length of the grip. I don't remember. It sure looks narrow in that pic above doesn't it? I don't recall how it looks on my print. As far as I know, and I'm not sure, but I believe you can get a copy directly from Joe Musso. A friend gave me my copy.
The leather washer is to keep the guard from rattling on the metal throat of a sheath, and as a cushion when sheathing the knife. It is a very common feature on swords.
An interesting feature on the Musso, is that the blade bevel begins as hollow ground, then phases into a full convex. It is 7/32" at the guard, then tapers to 3/16" until it nears the point. A very large knife with a blade 13 3/4" long, but very light and easy to control for it's size.
I posted an update from Joe Musso in the "historical knives" section, in regards to testing the knife for it's age and authenticity. There is a lot more than I posted, and if there is an interest, I can post the rest, which amounts to a point/counterpoint discussion between Joe and another knife collector. Let me know.
Old 08-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WBE View Post
Here's a copy I made a few years back from that blueprint. Not an easy knife to get right.

Wick, you ole devil I thought the minute I saw the WBE and the imput you had on this thread that WBE must be you. Now I see the pic of your copy of the Musso Bowie, I knew for sure.
It's Dixieblade57 as they call me over on Bladeforums.com. I go by C Craft on all the other forums! I am about to finally get on track and back to building some knives again, we finally got some answers on the wife's health and my mind is begining to clear enough to allow me back in the shop, I think!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 08-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Skilled

Glad to hear that. I hope your wifes health and well being is on the mend. My wife had a heart attack in 1990, at age 41. It was as traumatic for me as well as her. It was a few years before I could get back to normal life. It was 1996 before she could do most of the normal things a person of her age should be able to do. She still has limits, but does very well for her condition. I wish the best for both of you.

Tags
blade, brand, brass, custom, forge, guard, knife, knives, leather, post, press, sheath, tang