MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 03-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Steel Addict

Jeff,your reply convinced me that you have an open mind,and a touch of class.like to welcome you to the forums,and ask that you never,never,never proclaim me to be a most amazing knifemaker!

Old 03-11-2006, 11:10 AM
Registered

The one this hat I don't seem to be able to get Les to understan is hat we both live in diffeent worlds and have totally different outlooks. In my world, the monetary factor and publicity is not of paramount importance. I strive to make a quality knife for the sake of self satisfaction. I've often sought and appreciated CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. By all means, please point out my weak points but do it honestly and accurately. When it was said that I had a gap between my handle scales and bolsters, I knew very well that I was not receiving an accurate criticism. I have nefer released a knife with such a flaw. If you found one, I guarantee it has been altered. You get from people what you put into them. Arrogance and lack of tact will be returned in kind. Constructive, honest criticism will be accepted with appreciation and humbleness. I've dealt with a number of dealers and have walked away with nothing but a small amount of publicity. Most of them love to brag about how much they spend on knives but don't mention that they are taking an unfair advantage of he maker by offering very little in the way of financial reimbersement. I've also dealt with many suppliers who've taken my knives to shows and we have both done very well. Ebay is not my favorite market but it is one of the worlds largest markets and is also frequented by many Guild member green tags who know what they like.

I thank those of you who have understood my position. There's so much more to life than money and fame. Inner satisfaction is what drives me and makes my life complete.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:30 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Wolf
Jeff,your reply convinced me that you have an open mind,and a touch of class.like to welcome you to the forums,and ask that you never,never,never proclaim me to be a most amazing knifemaker!
Thank you! And, after this thread, I'll make sure to never call any maker "amazing", though I'll probably not be able to resist proclaiming beautiful, individual knives as such.

Phil -- I think you hit it on the head. You and Les are approaching things from two different worlds. It reminds me of arguments I used to get into with a friend of mine. We are both IT consultants -- he used to spend a lot of time writing magazine articles, going to IT conventions, networking at associations etc., while I didn't. He liked the publicity of being "known", while I was only interested in happy clients (and money!). He would chase "hot" technologies, while I would stay with technologies that I liked. He could never understand why I would stay focused on my clients in long-term relationships, instead of selling myself, staying on the cutting edge, and becoming "known", even when we compared incomes and found I was making more than twice as much as he. This is not to be critical of his approach -- it worked for him and made him happy. He just couldn't see that my "behind the scenes" low-key approach worked for me and made me happy.

---------- Eschew obfuscation ----------
Old 06-02-2006, 09:35 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
My name is Peter and I am also new to the Knife Network Forums as my post count will attest. To me this thread was amazing. As I read each post my opinion went back and forth repeatedly. I am a lifetime lover of knives and have a collection of both custom knives and manufactured knives. I have some well known makers knives, several Randalls, all of the Bucks and Pumas that I couldn't afford back in the 60's when I first purchased hunting knives. My most expensive custom cost me $650. I have been active collecting and going to small shows mostly NCCA (Northeast Cutlery Collectors Association) as they are nearby to where I live in CT. I read Blade magazine, Knifeworld at times, and have Bernard Levines Guide IV amongst a couple other guides.

I am in awe of the knowledge and reknown that appears on these forums, and Les Robertson is no doubt a major player and influence in the knife world.

That being said, I would like to say that I have one of Phil's knives. I bought it from one of his suppliers. I paid $450 for it with a nice mammoth tooth stand and tooled sheath. To me, and I certainly realize my knowledge of knives is primitive in comparison to most on this forum, the knife, while perhaps not "amazing" compelled me to buy it, after holding it in my hand. As I said my price range tops out at $650 and most of my knives are in the $200 - $400 range. It is nice damascus, ground well, shaving sharp, has mosaic bolsters and beautiful mammoth scales. Lastly, it feels like an extension of my hand when holding it.

Just my opinion.

Peter
Old 07-01-2006, 02:14 PM
Registered

i dont think they are being hard on the maker, but rather the supporters opinion that they will become highly collectable. i guess collectable has no solid definition though... im sure mr randall would have laughed if when he made his 10th knife, some one said 'these will be highly collectable someday"

Old 06-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Enthusiast

pj just wanted to let you know ive collected knives for 40 years now . two of yours are in it, a warncliff abalone pearl and a mammoth .thanks again dave
Old 06-07-2010, 09:39 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
The knives that were a collectors dream of past gone days are now---- just another knife amongst many others that were never able to make the grade. Not that they were not beautifuly designed and executed but that they were not ably advertised and promoted. Do not under estimate the power of advertisment even if it is tarnished by a lack of truth. Those that are lucky enough to profit by either pride of ownership or financial happenstance are not in the majority---by a long shot!!!!

Tags
art knife, blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives