MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > This Old Knife

This Old Knife Here is a little forum dedicated to talking about, but not limited to, vintage and antique knives. Pics and stories of special knives or your favorite patterns are encouraged. No experts here. Just guys chattin about old knives and the legends we hav

Old 10-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Master

Smile P.I. Fighter

One of the lasts post reminded me of a knife that I had Made in the Phil. Islands by som of the locals on base. I am in the porcess of making one very simular to it. Will have itfinished as soon as the doctor releases me to get back into the shop after my shoulder surgery. Thanks for looking.

Curtis Wilson

Old 11-27-2009, 01:05 AM
Steel Addict

RE: Philipine Knife

I have a very similar knife also made in the PI. The local made these knives from a variety of steels. One of the more interesting was their use of un-exploded 500 lb bomb cases. There was a bombing range called "Wild Horse Creek? a few miles north of Subic Bay and they locals would hang out along the perimeter of the range and watch for bombs that didn't explode. They would immediately mark the spot and come back later to retrieve the metal. They would unearth the bomb, drill a hole in the case, build a fire under it and melt out the Composition 'B' explosive. Then three or four of them would rig a stretcher to carry the case out of the impact area.

In 1979, a flight of Carrier-based A7s were practicing with live 500 lb bombs. One pilot dropped a string of 6 - all impacted within the range but one went near the boundary. Unfortunately, the bomb hit the tunnel where 3 Philippine locals were hiding, killing the one nearest the entrance, critically wounding the second and deafening the third. Big price to pay for steel.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Build a fire to get the explosive out, somehow that don't seem too safe.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 03-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

I have one they made for me in 1970.It was made from a fence post I think?It had a teck handle.I got it from an old man near lily hill at the mob barrachs.It was called a nagrito bolo.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:08 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Chapman View Post
Build a fire to get the explosive out, somehow that don't seem too safe.
Might not sound very safe, but to explode it needs a combination of heat AND friction or pressure. You can light a package of Composition B or some C-4 plastic explosive on fire and it will burn, just do not stomp on it!

Tony Zanussi
USMC Ammo Technician 1983-2000

Tags
art, awesome, brand, build, fire, knife, knives, package, plastic, post