MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Talking Visit a Knife Maker in Your Area

The following is a list of knife makers who are willing to have people visit their shops. Since this is the Newbies Arena most of the visitors may be raw beginners so be sure to specify the level of experience (or inexperience) you are willing to deal with if you decide to add your name to this list.

Please list what you feel competent to teach (what do you make?), what time you have available for teaching, and what you want in exchange for your time (money, beer, chickens).

Please DO NOT list your email addresses, physical street address, or phone number here. List your city, state, and any information on your general area that you feel is helpful. This will help to protect you from SPAM and maybe from someone just dropping in unexpectedly. Make sure your KNET profile is filled out to allow Private Messages. Anyone who wants to visit a maker should start the process by sending a PM, then you can exchange info through direct email as necessary.

And please, include your real name unless you have reason to believe it's a state secret!

The following is a summary of the maker's listings arranged by state. For more complete info on one of these makers look for his posting in this thread:

CANADA

Jim Clow Alberta, Canada 403-362-1015
We have a T.N.K.N. (thursday night knife night) at my place every thursday night.

George Tichbourne, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

ALABAMA

Robert Dark - Knifemaker - Forging and Stock Removal
Oxford, Alabama
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARKANSAS

Mike Garner
Centerville, just SW of Russellville
Visitors welcome, call first
479-747-3797

GEORGIA

Carl Rechsteiner, Bladesmith, Master Artist, Acworth, GA
------------------------------------------------------------------------

MICHIGAN

Don Cowles, Royal Oak, Michigan
Small fixed blade stock removal knives; hollow or flat grinding

MONTANA

Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith. Great Falls, Montana, USA.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

NORTH CAROLINA

Alan Folts
Greenville, North Carolina.
I make modern folders, fixedblades, other metalworks...

OHIO

Carl Combs..........sw Ohio.........30 miles north of Cincinncati

TEXAS

Stanley Buzek
Waller,TX west of houston
I do mostly stock removal on SS,but have also set up a forge to start doing some hot work. I am in the shop most weekends so send e-mail to set up a time.

Don Halter
Katy(just west of Houston), Texas 77493

Gene Osborne Fort Worth, TX
Ft. Worth Texas, call ahead of time, any subject.

Don Robinson
Brownsville, Texas
I make all kinds of folders, locking liner, slipjoints, flippers, and fixed blade knives.

Bob Warner
Royse City, TX
I will let visitors come to my shop to visit and ask questions for free. Just plan it ahead of time .

WASHINGTON

Daniel Frazee
1003 Marshal Dr. SE
Tumwater, WA 98501
360-357-3359
Shop time is limited, for me that is, so please call and chat. Give me a ring if you are anywhere near the Olympia area.

Ray Rogers
Wauconda, WA
I make sporting knives, kitchen knives, and liner lock folders. I also forge damascus but do not forge blades.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 11-02-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Ed Caffrey, ABS Mastersmith. Great Falls, Montana, USA.

Always happy to give advice either in person or via phone(phone number listed on website). If I don't answer the phone, please leave a message, I will usually return calls within 24 hours unless I'm out of town.
Formal classes available (I charge of these)

We also have a Monday night Knife Chat right here on the forums....its open to everyone, at any level. Its not focused on a rigid topic each week, so any and all subjects/questions concerning knives/bladesmithing are welcome. It starts at 9pm EASTERN time, and goes for an hour...or until we're done.

About the only thing I don't offer help on is Fantasy type knives....with those your on you own!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 AM

Carl Rechsteiner, Bladesmith, Master Artist, Acworth, GA

Instruction in: Beginning Bladesmithing, Advanced Bladesmithing, Sheath Making
(there is a waiting list)
Plan to offer a free quarterly "Introduction to Bladesmithing" class (TBA)

Conduct 2 Hammer-ins each year (spring and fall) in Blairsville, GA at www.trackrock.com that are open to the public

Charter member of the Georgia Custom Knifemakers' Guild* (www.georgiaknifemakersguild.com)
*highly recommended for beginners, novices, and professionals - tremendous networking opportunity
Participating Master Artist in Georgia Council for the Arts - Traditional Arts Apprenticeship program

My table is I-27 at the Blade Show. Come see me.
(Even my wife thinks I'm a Real Knife Guy!)

Visitors by appointment only.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Skilled

Robert Dark - Knifemaker - Forging and Stock Removal
Oxford, Alabama

Would be glad to help a fledgling maker or swap ideas with an experienced maker.

You can contact me via my website: Dark Custom Knives

Robert
Old 04-17-2009, 09:54 AM
Hall of Famer

Don Robinson
Brownsville, Texas
956-546-4861
Waaaay down on the border, as far south as you can get and still be in Texas.

I make all kinds of folders, locking liner, slipjoints, flippers, and fixed blade knives. Pocket knives to weapons. I prefer to use air hardening steels. Visitors are always welcome to my shop, just call first. I love to teach and help other makers. No charge unless you take lessons from me.

I've taught knifemaking in my shop for years, but my health is limiting the time I can work any given day.I charge an hourly rate for teaching in my shop.

New makers should start with a fixed blade knife or have previous experience before taking lessons with me on making folding knives.During my classes the student will start with raw materials and leave with a finished knife, even a sheath if necessary. Heat treating your knife is included.

Got a question about any part of knifemaking with the exception of forging? Give me a call or send me an email. I'll be happy to help anyone any way I can.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:56 AM
Guru

Don Halter - Houston-Katy area

Don Halter
Katy(just west of Houston), Texas 77493

I frequently host small hammer-ins at my place. We usually have a specific topic we concentrate on, but tend to cover a broad range or knife related subjects in addition to the main topic. Usually 5-10 people attend, of varying skill levels. All skill levels welcome.

Since moving, I'm working out of a 2-car garage and don't have some of my larger equipment set up, but the forge, anvil and grinder are always available.

Hammer-ins are free (sometimes we all bring stuff for a BBQ afterwards).

If you want to do grinding and want to use new belts, you need to bring your own. Likewise, if you want to work with a particular steel, you need to bring it. I usually have a variety of old springs and such for beginners, otherwise.

Send me a PM or email to be added to the email list I send out periodically when we're scheduling a hammer-in.

Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM

Ray Rogers, Wauconda, WA
I make sporting knives, kitchen knives, and liner lock folders. I also forge damascus but do not forge blades.

I'm always happy to have anyone drop by for a few hours to visit. This happens very rarely due to the nearly unreachable location in which I live but it does happen. If you want to visit, plan to be here some time between May and the end of September because a winter visit is nearly impossible if you don't live in this area.

I can handle a visit of a few people for a few hours most any day during May - September but if you want to make a knife you should probably plan on staying a day or two. In that event, you would need to come alone as I don't have any place to put more than one person over night (there is a motel about 30 miles from here though). Anything over three people is a big crowd to me and my wife and/or my brother is almost always here too. Sorry, no tents either. Something would crawl in there with you and you probably wouldn't like it.

Visits are free although a 5 pound bag of whole unsalted peanuts is always welcome and helps pay your 'protection' from the local branch of the Rodent Mafia. For making knives, you can bring materials and supplies according to your needs or money if you prefer. The lessons are informal, the cost will be peanuts, materials, and something for the grill. Beer and machinery don't mix so I wouldn't plan on having much of that around.

Contact me through my website or a PM through KNET .......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Last edited by Ray Rogers; 04-19-2009 at 10:06 AM.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Enthusiast

Alan Folts

Greenville, North Carolina.

Anyone welcome even if it just an interest not an obsession.

I make modern folders, fixedblades, other metalworks...

I can teach, grinding, handles, folder work (liner and frame lock mostly), kydex, machining, finishing techniques, designing, art, annodizing, and how to mess up a clean shop in 5 minutes or less.

Payment in my shop is simple, give back, wether it be by helping keep the place clean, or trying to help with other students.

Only a poor teacher quits learning from his/her students.

Alan Folts

Last edited by Alan Folts; 04-20-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
Carl Combs..........sw Ohio.........30 miles north of Cincinncati......I have a shop just for knife making or rag chewing......Either way call and stop by......I hollow grind all my blades and can demo......Ben doing this for 15 years.....carl

Old 04-20-2009, 09:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Folts
Alan Folts

Only a poor teacher quits learning from his/her students.

Alan Folts
Sooo right, Alan.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Living Legend

Bob Warner
Royse City, TX (NE of Dallas)

I will let visitors come to my shop to visit and ask questions for free. Just plan it ahead of time with me because I will probably be in the middle of a project of some kind.

I also give formal classes in knife making for fixed blades. Two day classes and you leave with a completed knife you made.

I also will hold forge building classes or other classes (want to build an offset smoker?) if people are interested.

I can provide a buyers list for certain smaller tools like forges and small shop presses (or I can provide the materials for a fee). People can come to my shop and assemble them and test them out. There is a charge for this but it is reasonable.

I have all the welding equipment, plasma cutter and other tools required to build tools like forges pretty quickly. Best if there are a few people at the same time but not required. I can weld it or you can if you know how to weld (Stick, MIG or Oxy/Acyt). If you don't know how to weld I can teach you how if you want to learn.

I can also build or "Assist" in the build of larger tools for those without large shops or the cutting and welding tools needed to build them. I have a crane in the ceiling of my shop for loading big stuff on your trailer if you make something pretty large. I don't lift much weight anymore.

Just contact me to arrange any type of help you want. I am versatile.

NO BOOZE, sorry. I do have a refrigerator in the shop so bring soft drinks and your lunch if you want. I drink Diet Dr. Pepper so that is all I will have to offer visitors.

Liability waiver will be required for all visits where you will operate a tool.

Currently not working so I would really welcome the opportunity to give lessons on anything I know how to do.

Bob

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!

Last edited by Bob Warner; 04-23-2009 at 02:07 PM.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
Don Cowles, Royal Oak, Michigan

Small fixed blade stock removal knives; hollow or flat grinding. I will make a knife with you for the cost of the knife. All techniques shared and demonstrated; the teaching is free.

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 04-24-2009, 10:33 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to boatbuilder
shop in Tilley

We have a T.N.K.N. (thursday night knife night) at my place every thursday night. We are just a bunch of guys that like to build knives and have an evening out in the shop. I am in the process of re-building a 50lb canadian giant and once it is complete we are going to start making our own damascus. Anyone is welcome and we will help you through the process of building a knife. We would also welcome people with more of this knife making experience. It is always nice to learn more ways to skin the cat. If anyone wants to come out by all means call me and I will give directions. 403-362-1015

Jim Clow

Last edited by boatbuilder; 04-25-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-18-2009, 09:22 PM
Skilled

Washington

While I am a newer maker (off and on for about 6 years) I love to share with anyone willing to come by. Shop time is limited, for me that is, so please call and chat. I have a whole bunch of stuff crammed into a very small space. My limit is 2 extras besides me. Stainless, carbon, can heat treat pretty much anything now. Give me a ring if you are anywhere near the Olympia area.

Daniel Frazee
1003 Marshal Dr. SE
Tumwater, WA 98501

360-357-3359

http://www.usualsuspect.net/commerce/aff.php?aff=2405
A strong man disciplines his desires, restrains his reactions and keeps his commitments.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:09 PM
Skilled

Waller,TX west of houston

Stanley Buzek
I do mostly stock removal on SS,but have also set up a forge tostart doing some hot work. I am in the shop most weekends so send e-mail to set up a time.
I have an evenheat H/T oven so if you want to heattreat.
Everyone welcome from beginner on, If your working on something bring it along.
Stan

Tags
art, blade, bowie, design, fixed blade, flags, forge, forging, grinding, guard, hammer, hunter, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, kydex, mentor, newbie, sheath, sheaths, steel, teach, tools