MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 10-29-2010, 02:07 PM

Need some Help with knives in GA

Hello to all on the board. My name is Rick and I am as about as new to knife making as you can get. I am real eager to learn and I try to read as much as I can so I do not have to ask a lot of basic question and forums like this are what made me decide to give it a try. I went and Got Wayne Goddard?s book ?The Fifty Dollar Knife Shop? and I have started to get the things I need. I think I have what I need to do material removal knives and I am working on gathering the things for a forged knife. I would like to make a proposal to anyone in the Atlanta area to help me out. Maybe just an hour here and there over a cup of coffee, beer or 14 year old single malt scotch whatever I?m not that picky. I would love to watch you go through the precess of making a forged knife and a material removal one then let me ask a bunch of questions and take notes. Not just on the knife making process but on setting up a small shop and purchasing gear. If you also do leather work (sheaths) that would be a plus because I will need some place to put the knives when I am through.
Now what I have to offer is besides eagerness to learn how to do it right, but I have 22 some odd years Flyfishing, flytying and a few years of rod building. I even owned a guide service for about four years up in North Carolina. I flyfish for anything from small mountain trout, panfish in fresh water and to tarpon and shark in the salt. I can teach you how to cast and fly fish for many species of fish. As for rod building well I just do not have that much experience I have only built about 10 rods although I do believe they came out very nice but not perfect
If you have no desire to learn how to fly fish or tie then maybe I can help you around your place with some good old manual labor.
I just really would like someone to take me under their wing and help to guide me through the process of making a knife I would be proud to own and give as a gift
Thanks for listening and I look forward to learning much more from the forum.
Rick
Old 10-29-2010, 08:37 PM

PM sent..
Old 11-02-2010, 07:32 AM

Convince Rick to fill out more of his profile while your at it Randy.

(Might be time to do an "Introductory to Bladesmithing" class again. Give me a call.)

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-02-2010, 02:21 PM

Had a great time at the meeting and it was a pleasure meeting everyone. the meeting just fueled my desire to make knives and I went home and cut out about 8 blanks on wood then traced three of them on a small saw blade cut them out and shaped them on a grinder and 1X42 belt sander then added the handle to a kit knife and then I got real busy in my humble little shop. I think I'm going to need therapy at some point. Again Randy, Carl, Andy and all the others I had a great time thanks again.

Rick
Old 11-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Skilled

Too late, you have fallen in with a crowd that will lead you astray. The only therapy is the application of more time in the shop! It doesn't get worse it gets better! We are going to have another Ga Guild meeting at the Twin Blades shop in late Jan or early Feb. Keep a watch out for the announcement. If you get down towards Statesboro before then, give Charlie and I a call, we might be able to help you feed the addiction. We can at least get you dusty. Just watch out for Carl...He will have you out looking for used anvils and hammers and cutting holes in old freon tanks for a forge before you know what has happened.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:00 PM

Hey Harry I am not sure if I met you or your brother regardless I had a blast and I am already hitting up my uncle in FL for a welder and scrap metal. Heck I was trying to figure out how to get the danged metal tools/blades off the wall at Cracker Barrel this morning. My buddy is restoring an old car and I am trying to relieve him of his leaf springs. Oh god I think its terminal I may just have to drive on down for some therapy.

Richard Federation
Newblade67
brooksidenc@aol.com
404-988-7460
Old 11-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Rick
Boy do I feel like a dummie. I remember talking to you at the meeting but never tied you to this thread. I was under the influence of a bad head cold and not putting things together very well apparently.
Don't listen to the Twins (either one)! They are the only guys I know that use two perfectly good, hardly used anvils for quench plates. What's wrong with that picture?!?!
Charlie and Harry have a great shop to visit and you can learn alot from either of them so don't hesitate if you are in the area.

I don't corrupt budding knifemakers, I just give them a "taste" and get them headed in the RIGHT direction. AAHHHHH - play with fire, sharp pointy things, beat stuff with a hammer, cut stuff up, make a lot of noise and get dirty - What's not to like? It's every boy's dream come true.
(we can even talk fishing if we have too)

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM

Hey Carl how would you know who I was its not like i announced to everyone that I was the newbie on KF. If you end up having a Blade smithing class let me know cause I have hammer will travel. I truly want to learn all aspects of knife making and will gather as much info from all I can so I hope I don't become annoying with all my questions. I do try and look for my answers on my own but some things are just better explained or showed in person, I'm sure you all understand and if I can do anything in return for all your help even if it means sweeping your shop I'll do it.

Richard Federation
Newblade67
brooksidenc@aol.com
404-988-7460
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Been married so long I'm conditioned to "know" and/or "appologize" which ever seems appropriate at the moment.

While there is a lot of excellent information to be had here on the forums, there's just as much bad advice and unsubstantiated opinion as well. Takes a lot of discernment on the reader's part to weed out the good from the bad. I'm not one to take issue with another's approach unless it appears to be dangerous or contradictive to known and proven sensible practice. This is supposed to be fun not just another way to get hurt or maimed.

Honest questions are never annoying or stupid so let' em rip. It is very true that you will learn more hands-on than you'll ever be able to get from reading, but you can never hurt yourself reading if you really pay attention to what's written. I teach a lot of kids and young people from 4 1/2 to 85. I have learned more from teaching than one could imagine. I won't say I've heard all the questions but I have heard more than a few.

Talked with Randy just a few moments ago and I guess I'll be working up another "Intro" class shortly.
Maybe right after Thanksgiving. Timing is tricky when you don't control the calendar. Send me your email address via the "pm" function here and I'll give you more particulars as it developes.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-03-2010, 01:39 PM

I can't wait till it happens. What does the class cost. I need to save some cash now and maybe work some overtime. But I will be their

Richard Federation
Newblade67
brooksidenc@aol.com
404-988-7460
Old 11-04-2010, 08:04 AM
Steel Addict

I'm not far from you in Sugar Hill, and if you'd like you can visit my shop anytime during normal business hours.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:37 AM

While I think Andy is a fine fella, there ain't nothing normal about a man with a spider logo!
(just poking the web Andy)
Rick, take advantage of any chance you get to visit another maker's shop. You'll benefit from every trip. Just keep in mind, if he/she looks busy they probably are.

I don't charge anything for the "Intro" class, it's just a means of getting you hooked, addicted, whatever......Mostly just to let you see what's what, find out a little about what you know/don't know, and help you decide if it really is the thing you want to "waste away" your spare time or life doing (what wife & friends will say, not me). It's informal and you won't be a "lone soldier". With a little coercing I'll get a couple of "not so new" to the game fellas to come as well.

While there is a lot to learn, I am a firm believer in keeping things simple, affordable, and fun. There's plenty of time to get complicated, intensely obsessive and complex once you master the basics.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Skilled

Hey Carl,

I'd be interested in hearing a little more about your intro class too.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 11-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Hey Carey been awhile.
Not that I'd every turn you away from my door old friend, but you'd probably be kind of bored with an "Intro" class. You are welcome to come if you like. I'll let you know when I get it set up. If you have any specific questions send me an email.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM
Skilled

Thanks, I appreciate it. Never can tell when a fellow might be able to learn something.

I was on call again this past weekend so I couldn't make it again.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn

Tags
blade, forge, forged, kit, knife, knife making, knives, post, teach