MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 PM
Steel Addict

Burgmaster Drill

I've got the chance of buying a Burgmaster turret drill, the same as Ed Caffrey has. What I need to know is, has anyone had experiance with this machine and how easy would it be to change the motor.

The motor in the drill I could get is 440V 3 phase and I only have 240v single phase. I'm capable of making some type of adapter plate if this would work. Your probably wondering why I'm asking, but the machine is at the other end of the country to me ( in Scotland ) and I'm in England. It's a little to far to travel and have a look!!!

Maybe Ed could jump in and give me some advice.

Thanks,

Andy..

Last edited by andy gascoigne; 05-02-2005 at 12:50 PM.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Hi, Andy.

Some 3 phase motors can be wired for 220v or 440v. Check with the seller and if that's true, you can buy a phase converter for less than $100 if it can be wired to 220v.

i used to have the plans for making a phase converter, so there may be plans on the internet.

I've been using phase converters for 20 years.

I don't know anything about Ed's Burgmaster except that I remember it's a small bench machine.

If you can get it running, you'll be mighty pleased with it.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hi Andy!

I read your post, and examined my burgmaster.....the motor is mounted to the frame by the bolts that hold the motor together. I would think that if you can find a motor with the same bolt pattern and size housing, it would bolt right up. If you get in a spot where you can't figure it out, I might be willing to sell you one of my extra motors. I have the machine i use, plus two other identical models that are for parts (the extras are the ones that UPS destroyed during delivery )

Once you get that puppy up and running, your gona love it! The machine saves me about an hour on each folder, simply because I load all the needed bits at one time, and then just run through the sequence.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 05-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Don & Ed !

I forgot that some 3 phase motors can be duel voltage. My lathe uses a 240V 3 phase motor with an inverter drive.

The seller is going to email me some photo's tomorrow..I can tell you one thing, the guy does'nt know what he's got with regards to the price..I'll pick it up for less than $150.00 delivered .

Ever since I saw Ed's burgmaster I've been looking for one and now a bargain's come up..

Can't wait to get it now.

Thanks again,

Andy..
Old 05-09-2005, 09:37 AM
Steel Addict

If you're in England you might want to talk to an electrician about getting a 380V CE plug and line. The machine will run betterr if you keep the 380V set up.

Old 05-09-2005, 12:20 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Kevin, but I can't justify the expense for just one machine..I'm looking forward to taking delivery and doing the inverter conversion job. I like the thought of variable speed as I have an inverter drive on my lathe and the variable speed makes machining a breeze!!

Andy..
Old 05-09-2005, 01:23 PM
Steel Addict

Depending on if you're in a priate house or a rental apartment, the cost shouldn't be very much as long as there's enough juice coming in at your main breaker box. Just make sure the lines out are the right sizes and I expect the machine will nee only a standard 16amp CE plug. If it needs a 32 amp plug I don't think it will work without 380V. Besides, if you're into knifemaking, you won't be able to go far without 380 volt power.