MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:31 AM
Guru

Scrap yard found

Found a little Treasure yesterday. Ran across a guy that has a scrap yard near my home that concentrates on old and new RR shtuff ! My question is: The steel plates that go between the RR spike and the tie.........what is it ? He has piles of it, I would be Hammerin for a lifetime if it can be used. He has a great supply of RR spikes also, new with no hammer marks, they say WHC on top of them. Any idea what I should pay per spike ?

Hopefully this turns out to be a great little find. Any comments and suggestions would be very helpfull.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 07-28-2004, 11:43 AM
Hall of Famer

the plates are probably mild or 1030 or so at best. Do a quench test, though.

Track clips are in the 1060 range as are the bolts.

Rail is somwhere around 1080 with a little boron thrown in so it work hardens, makes a hell of a hammer. Some people make blades out of it.

The W on the spike stands for Wellington Industries, Sand Springs OK, the maker of the spike. My buddy works there as an inspector. The letter precedeing the HC is the mfg. identification.

Pay per spike? The new HC spikes sell wholesale for $75.00 a keg.

Old 07-29-2004, 10:25 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Shane:
Great score!!! Spike knives are fun and profitable, especially in an area with RR folks around! As far as spike knives go, Ive found mind to be marginal at best, with a water quench. More of a novaty or letter opener. I have read where some folks have found a way to get better performance from them, possibly using a "Super Quench" , But they are a hoot to make, and not too difficult, Twist the handles and polish up the blade and the head end and they look really nice, and like I said, in a RR Town lots of folks buy em for gifts!! I usually sell mine in the $35 - $50 range and can forge out about 2 an hour with mabe another hour for finishing.

If you need any help on these give me a holler!!

God Bless
Mike

Old 07-29-2004, 11:46 PM
Guru

Mike, Youve made a scrapyard, junkyard hound out of me. Ive about thrown Kathy through the front window on some of my sudden stops. I actually hammered on one tonight. Tons of fun. I definatelly need to figure out that twisting thing though. Mine actually turned out pretty good but definatelly no Tai Goo Masterpiece. I might be giving you a buzz soon. You home still ?

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 07-30-2004, 03:46 PM
Hall of Famer

Shane Im Home, and leaving Sunday for Elko NV for 10 -15 days.
Give me a holler, I lost my address book and your # was in it!!

God Bless
Mike

P.S.
Seat belts help with those sudden stops!!

Old 08-03-2004, 11:02 PM
Skilled

Question for "Diamond G"

Hey Diamond G,, a few posts back, you said you got 5 different colors from forklift chain,, Well, I scrounged some forklift chain, and welded up a billet, and forged it into a blade blank. I was wondering what you did or used for echant to get those colors??
Also,, about buying scrap spikes,, they are not worth any more than #1 scrap of anything else, You should be able to buy all you want for 10 cents a pound or less. A stroll down any set of tracks should get you all you could carry, just for the exercise though! As ties are replaced, (at least here in Nebraska) the spikes are tossed aside and new ones are replaced. I've gotten so many, I don't pick them up anymore. also,, Diamond G,, Who turned you on to "JD loadshafts"???? I thought that was a pretty well kept secret! good steel! ----jon
Old 08-04-2004, 01:27 PM
Hall of Famer

Jon:
Mabe "colors" might be a mis phrase. Actually its diffrent shades of grey.
But I etch with ferric Chloride, mixed 5 to 1 with water. Ive found that I get sharper Lines
when I finish to @ 800 grit and do a good buffing. Clean very good with acetone and then etch. etch from 5 -10 minutes, take out sand off oxides (black stuff) with 1000 or 2000 grit paper, being sure that you dont touch the steel with your fingers, or if you do, wipe it down with acetone again to be sure. Hope this helps.

On the forklift chain, it is the flat link chains, you get the pins, and the other flat links giving up to 5 diffrent color shades.

Good Luck!

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-04-2004, 03:27 PM
Hall of Famer

RR specs

Old 08-06-2004, 07:16 PM
Skilled

Smile To Diamond G,,,, shades of gray..

"Shades of gray",, sounds like a song.. Yes,, I will agree on the 5 shades of gray! I crushed out my billet with the pins verticle, (I welded my chain to 3 pcs of mild steel, sides and bottom, then fluxed from the top) I know I didn't add any nickel, but I'd swear there was some in it! I was in such a hurry, (new kick) that I didn't sand down very fine nor clean befor etching, but I still got a cool sample of "forklift chain damascus" with what looks like nickel running around some edges. When I do a blade, I promise to take my time! Thanks for replying!!!!!! ---jon PS, what about the JD shafts?

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives