MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-24-2006, 07:33 PM
Skilled

checking

Has anyone ever heard of Alvian Hutabaret before.He`s wanting to order several pieces from my web site. Thanks Robert

Old 04-24-2006, 09:21 PM
Hall of Famer

Don't remember seeing anythig on him.My moto If the checks good the orders good.
Ive heard of some scams out of South Africa.
Its sad that we have to be so sceptical of people.
I made a steril fighter for a S.F.O.D. operator.(supositly)He did not have an APO or military address.I greatly discounted the knife.(cost of materials).2 weeks later it was on E-bay.Needless to say it left a bad taste.Now I only give military discounts to a military address.I find this sad.

Old 04-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
It might sound harsh, but my recommendation is as follows:

If the individual is from overseas, and unless you KNOW them, only take your payment in the form of an international money order, made payable in US funds. Accept payment ONLY for the amount of the purchase. Have them send the payment to you via a traceable method. Using Paypal is tempting is this situation, but I have seen instances where overseas scammers have paid with Paypal, gotten the goods, then disputed it with Paypal and have gotten their money refunded FROM THE SELLERS ACCOUNT.

DO NOT ship the knife/knives until the money order has cleared YOUR bank, and the funds are safely in your account.

Use ONLY Global Priority Mail for delivery/shipping.

And finally, ensure you notify the PURCHASER, that they are responsible for any tariffs, taxes, or import fees associated with shipping the knife/knives.

With all the scammers out there, this still isn't 100% foolproof, but by following a strict methodology you can frighten off most of the scam artists. Use good sense and protect yourself, usually if you explain to the customer your reasons for doing things the way you do, the honest ones are more than willing to accomidate your wishes if they truely want your knife/knives.

I get emails almost on a daily basis from overseas that sound some what legit, most of the time when I respond with how the transaction must occur, I never hear from them again.....those I mark off as scammers.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 04-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Robert, that individual is definitely bogus. I receive a huge amount of spam every day and I also got a letter from him a few days ago. At the same time, I got two other completely identical letters signed with two different names.

These guys often use the same pattern in their letters: I want to order several of your 'product' (often they don't even know what your product is). Before I do, I need to ask some questions: do you accept credit cards, can you ship to foreign country by Fed Ex or UPS. Sometimes they mention that the shipment will be to Indonesia even though they claim to be in another country.

Run, don't walk, away from these 'customers' .......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 04-25-2006, 10:24 AM

It's bogus. Does this look familiar? I think if I was interested in buying a knife from
someone I would be a little more specific in what I wanted. He probably sends this
out to websites of all kinds of products and just changes the "Knives" part.

Dear Sir/Madam,

I'am interest buy your product.
Please give me information your fix price for:

- Knives

Before I place my order, I have something to ask,
- do you ship via FedEx/USPS/DHL?
- do you accept credit card payment ?
Please let me know if you could.
Your prompt reply will be appreciated, Thank you very much and have a nice day.

Best Regards,
Alvian Hutabarat
=====================================
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Skilled

That`s the same message thatI received.I put it up here where everyone else would be aware of this scammer. Robert ps .I do this the same way Ed said.

Old 04-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Enthusiast

Sad and mad at the same time to hear your story Robert. This kind of a**h*le ruining the credibility of good guys that willing to purchase such a great knives from you guys. Keep be aware but open to another oppurtinity. Thx & GOD bless you all.

Frids

Tags
knife, knives