MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 05-31-2016, 09:38 PM
Guru

Zack White Leather Co.

I was just wondering if anyone has used them for online leather orders? I won't use Tandy online anymore for leather because of the leather THEY pick out for me despite my clear instructions. It is a hit or miss proposition with them and I am not enthused with driving 125 miles to pick out my own leather either. One thing I noticed about Z. White is they have solid brass rivets and don't charge too much for them.

So I was wondering what the experiences of other members may have been with them on the quality of leather shipped ordered. I don't want poor choices like when I ask for brown suede and they send me beige with holes in the middle. Thanks for your time.
Jimmie
Old 06-01-2016, 07:47 AM
Steel Addict

I have ordered and I frequent the store since I only live 30 min from there. If I was you I would take the time to pay them a visit since you are in NC. I have never had an issue with them. What I do is order my hardware that I need and go there if I am buying leather. I like to lay my hands on the leather. What part of the NC high country do you live in?
Old 06-01-2016, 09:13 AM
Guru

A ways up above Asheville.

I live 40 miles as the road drives north of Asheville. Johnson City Tn. is about 55 miles away. I live in a valley where I can't get even one TV station over the air with an amplified antenna.lol It is about 180 miles or better to Zack's. Tandy in Knoxville is closer. I don't have a problem with Tandy's leather if I can pick it out myself, but getting beige suede instead of brown is unacceptable because they were out of brown. It was on sale so I didn't send it back, $20 for ten square ft. is a deal and I can still use it. It's for purses and cases for phones or cameras, not for knives. I have used suede lacing for knives though. Tandy's hardware is not all that great, their brass rivets unless it says solid are plated steel same for nickel. I take a magnet with me when I go there. Zack has a great selection of solid brass rivets and now I think about it I don't remember there being any steel rivets.

I was just wondering if anybody had experience with them on picking and mailing leather. If I want 8 oz. veg tanned leather I don't want a piece that ranges all over the place, I'll just buy bellies if I want that and I do buy bellies because they are so cheap, but they are very inconsistent and you need to be decent at hand skiving and I'm not all that practiced at it.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:07 PM

another way to thin leather in small quantities is a spindle sander. I find it works well for belts and such, but not for larger pieces. It leaves a surface just like the original flesh side, sometimes a bit smoother. It can be quick depending on the grit of the paper.

Last edited by chadbeatty; 06-01-2016 at 02:08 PM. Reason: additions
Old 06-01-2016, 07:26 PM
Guru

I've used my belt sander on leather, but you need a new belt and not to heavy of a grit. 100 grit seems to work best at my sander's speed. Sanding speed is important too, but the dust is wild. Best just to get quality leather, I just hate that drive to Knoxville.

Last edited by jimmontg; 06-01-2016 at 07:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:20 AM

Wow, you're in a pickle. It's hard to put confidence in someone's selection at a distance. I'd never let Tandy people do that for me either. Getting to where it's had to trust any of the suppliers. Even W&C have been disappointing serious craftsman for the past few years. Weaver has done pretty well by me but they are wholesale only.
I have found that a couple of visits with the shop manager can make a big difference in service. The manager at one of the local Tandy outlets and I have become good friends. To the point where he calls me when a new shipment of good leather comes in, so I can go pick through it. Makes a big difference. Like most, I like to touch and inspect my leather in person. Solid brass Hardware is getting harder to find as well.
Hope you find a source you can trust.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-03-2016, 12:01 AM
Guru

Thanks Carl. Zack White's Co. is sending me a sample of horse leather, the girl I talked to said it is consistent and toolable. I've never used it, but it is affordable in small quantities as it's not easy for me to spend $150 for a shoulder split or something, but if I was going to spend that much I would make the drive to Knoxville and there is a Woodcraft store just down the street from Tandy.

I have bought wood from Woodcraft online and their customer service is second to none. I ordered some purple heart and tulipwood from them and UPS had mangled the box and retaped it. My tulipwood was gone and the purple heart looks like it's Honduran Rosewood. I called and they overnight shipped me the correct order and didn't even ask for the rosewood back when I offered to send it back they said to keep it for the inconvenience I experienced. I have no complaints about their service, but wood like leather is something I prefer to pick out myself.

I found a place here in Asheville for exotic woods, though their selection isn't large, It's called Asheville Hardware and they have a bunch of stuff. Their prices are decent too.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:40 AM

Horse butts are a different animal (pardon the pun). Nice even temper and tools well. Accepts dyes differently and some make it brittle so test a scrap section. Tends to finish out a few shades darker than cow. I like using it but when you price it per/sq it is a bit pricey and doesn't come in large pieces (sides) due to thickness variations. Pretty thin in most areas.
Have fun with it, just might be your favorite. Used to get mine from Seigels of Calif. but that was before the shakeup.

Yeah, always had good luck with Woodcraft just don't do that kind of woodworking anymore. Mostly use self harvested handle materials with the style of knives I make. Don't use near the amount of imported stuff as I used to.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Guru

Thanks again Carl.

I'll definitely test the horse butts out. They sell it in strips so that it is consistent. It is a bit pricey as the strips are about $22 for 2-3 sq. ft. I'll let everybody know how it goes with them in a few months. I prefer a pouch sheath, but I will make a two piece sheath if the knife tells me too. LOL Only a craftsman/woman knows what that means.

Blade Show going on this weekend. Hope all the sellers from here have a good show.

Last edited by jimmontg; 06-03-2016 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-03-2016, 07:49 PM

I have ordered from Zack White in the past and would recommend them. Fast delivery, good consistent look and feel on the double shoulders I've ordered from them, as well as consistent thickness. Hope this helps more than confuses you. TT
Old 06-03-2016, 11:01 PM
Guru

Thank You Axeman

I was wondering what they might pick out for me. Sometimes it has seemed that Tandy started with the lowest to the highest, but they have sent me good leather too.

Nice to know you've had positive experiences with Zack White Leather. Much appreciated and thank you again.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:10 AM

>>Blade Show going on this weekend. Hope all the sellers from here have a good show.<<

Biggest Friday crowd I've seen in 18 yrs of BS. Going very well so far, lot of knives going out the door.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 06-09-2016, 11:03 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmontg View Post
Thanks Carl. Zack White's Co. is sending me a sample of horse leather, the girl I talked to said it is consistent and toolable. I've never used it, but it is affordable in small quantities as it's not easy for me to spend $150 for a shoulder split or something, but if I was going to spend that much I would make the drive to Knoxville and there is a Woodcraft store just down the street from Tandy.

I have bought wood from Woodcraft online and their customer service is second to none. I ordered some purple heart and tulipwood from them and UPS had mangled the box and retaped it. My tulipwood was gone and the purple heart looks like it's Honduran Rosewood. I called and they overnight shipped me the correct order and didn't even ask for the rosewood back when I offered to send it back they said to keep it for the inconvenience I experienced. I have no complaints about their service, but wood like leather is something I prefer to pick out myself.

I found a place here in Asheville for exotic woods, though their selection isn't large, It's called Asheville Hardware and they have a bunch of stuff. Their prices are decent too.
The horse butts you get from them are very small. Only a few sq feet at most. It is much longer than wide. I love working with them for small sheaths and such but you will need to oil them really well with some oil of some form. I use Neets Foot oil and it works. If you are looking for some exotic woods try a local wood turnning store if you have one. The only problem is the wood may be very wet when you get it. There is a place called the Hardwood Store in Gibsonville, NC that will do mail order I think. Check their website.

https://hardwoodstore.com/

Good Luck, Mike
Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 PM
Guru

Good Luck, Mike[/QUOTE]
Thanx Mike

Tags
back, bee, belts, brass, buy, hand, hardware, holster, knife, knives, leather, leather die, leather tooling, ore, problem, rivets, sale, sander, sheath, steel, store, surface, tanned leather, tanning, white