MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 AM
Skilled

Leather mottling to identify maker?

Hello
I have been searching the net for information about the causes of mottling on leather, that irregular darkened area on a knife sheath.

I am attempting to learn different ways of identifying knife sheaths made by 2 different makers.

There is a group that uses mottling of the scabbards to identify a specific maker. Can that characteristic be used to positively identify?

These sheaths were made in the early 60's and one maker out west, the other in Florida.

It is my understanding that leather was obtained from venders that got the hide from wherever it was available around the country.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks
Sam

Tags
bee, holster, knife, knife sheath, leather, leather die, leather tooling, made, makers, sheath, sheaths, tanning