MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:22 AM

Want a be Sheath Maker

I would like to start making a few sheaths for some of my knives. What I need help with is what basic tools should I start out buying? Where would be the best place to purchase my tool and leather. Any help pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You
Leroy Foreman

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 01-20-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:36 PM

Leroy,
I myself am new to leather work, but have made several sheaths so far that have turned out pretty good. I got one of the leather kits from Tandy that has all the tools you need to start, thread, wax, and a book with instructions. It was very helpful and was only about $50. Call Tandy and they can set you up with what you need.
Brandon
Old 01-19-2012, 10:56 PM
Super Moderator

There are quite a few posts on TKN for sheath making, so feel free to search for those. Another great resource is leatherworker.net. Several of the sheath makers that hang around TKN also hang out on that community.

Leatherworking is an art, and it does take some training and knowledge to do it right. Yes, a good place to start is your local (or internet) Tandy leather store. Their leather isn't great quality, but it's reasonably cheap and you can buy small enough quantities to be able to learn on. At a minimum you need an awl, leather needles, thread, and a good knife. But there are lots of other tools needed to do a really good job, like skivers, edging tools, stitch wheels, etc. There are also a few chemicals involved: deglazer (for removing waxes from the surface before dying), dye, gum tragnanth (for smoothing edges and the rough side of the leather), and various surface coatings (depending on how you want it to look).

The VERY best resource to learn at home is Chuck Burrow's DVD set "Custom Knife Sheaths". It goes through everything step by step and is worth every penny. Paul Long also has a great DVD (that I can't seem to find the name of at the moment, but you can search for it).

When I first got interested in knifemaking, I asked a terrific knifemaker I met what was the most important tool I'd need to make a knife. He answered, "Desire." The same is true for sheathmaking. If you really want to do it - and do it right - then you'll put in the time and effort to learn how.

Good luck to you! Please don't hesitate to ask questions on here or leatherworker.net. There are some great sheathmakers on both who give you the very best answers.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:11 AM

Thank ya'll for all the great information. Can not wait to get started making my first sheath. It is great to have people that want to take the time out to give directions to first timers.
Thank You
Leroy

Last edited by Chuck Burrows; 01-20-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 08:44 PM

Fill out your profile more fully. You might be living within easy driving distance of an experienced leatherworker that can really help you get ahead with the "start-up" issues.
Welcome to the forums and the cow game.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Registered

Lay the cut out front of the sheath grain side (good side, face, whatever you call it) onto the grain side of the lining material. (face to face) Then stitch the top line of the sheath around the throat and up that same side of the belt loop if it's a butterfly pouch pattern. Then with an exacto or similar knife trim the excess that is above the throat line of the sheath off. This leaves you with the two pieces stitched at the top face to face. Then apply contact cement probably two coats to the flesh side of the sheath piece. This is the only time you work before the contact cement sets up real tacky. While the contact cement is still fairly green apply a coat to the flesh side of the lining material and wait a minute or two. The pull the lining material back over itself and over onto the flesh side of the sheath piece
Old 04-01-2015, 04:28 AM
Registered

]Lay the cut out front of the sheath grain side (good side, face, whatever you call it) onto the grain side of the lining material. (face to face) Then stitch the top line of the sheath around the throat and up that same side of the belt loop if it's a butterfly pouch pattern. Then with an exacto or similar knife trim the excess that is above the throat line of the sheath off. This leaves you with the two pieces stitched at the top face to face. Then apply contact cement probably two coats to the flesh side of the sheath piece. This is pass4sure comptia network plus certification
the only time you work before the contact cement sets up real tacky. While the contact cement is still fairly green apply a coat to the flesh side of the lining material and wait a minute or two. The pull the lining material back over itself and over onto the flesh side of the sheath piece

Tags
apply, art, back, belt, belt loop, custom, kits, knife, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, leather, material, pattern, post, sheath, sheaths, stitch