MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Photography Discussion

Knife Photography Discussion Share and improve your techniques on knife photography. Web and print imaging discussions welcome. Come on in ...

Old 01-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Skilled

Need lot of advise, please

I'm working with a new camera, nikon D50 with a nikon 55mm f2.8 macro AF lens, and its another one of those hair pulling learning experiences that one ( me anyway) just cannot figure out no matter how hard I try and retry. So if you all can look at these photos and give me some advise on what I need to try it would be very appreciated.
I have stopped the aperture down a great deal and slowed the shutter speed to match to get a more even focused picture but I still can't seem to get everything to look sharp, especially the screws. So please fire away and help me if you can.

Thank you,

Bill

Had to delete the pictures they were causing web site problems, sorry

www.geocities.com/buxtonknives

Last edited by B. Buxton; 01-30-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:00 PM
Guru

Bill, My knowledge on this is well........None, but just wanted to comment on the photo as it is. I think it looks great. I see what your talking about but its not going to take too much help from the Pro's to get it to where you want. Seems like everyone is getting a D50. Thats a beautifull looking knife also.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 01-28-2006, 04:02 PM

Bill go ahead and give us the rest of your settings so we'll know what you're working with. Jpeg., raw? menu settings? etc.

Old 01-28-2006, 04:29 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the replies.

Terrill, setting were jpeg, fine, 2 sec. F11, iso-200,image size small, optimize image - sharp. white- auto.
These are for the first picture. I'm not for certian about the second picture, I believe it was all the above except 1sec. F9

thanks

Bill

Old 01-28-2006, 06:29 PM

Bill, I would shoot it in a raw format if you can (at least a tiff format). Lower the ISO to 100. Try keeping the shutter speed at no more than 1 sec. (I just seem to have better luck avoiding camera shake at that speed or faster, even with a tripod). Then try a little post processing (sharpening)in Photoshop, Capture One or another program.

Old 01-29-2006, 01:55 PM
Skilled

Hi Bill- I mentioned to you sometime back how good your photos were coming out on your posts in the Display section.. Really a huge improvement from your earlier shots... When I got my new Canon G-3, I ordered a DVD tutorial off E-bay and it really was helpful to me.. I was able to watch the DVD with the camera in my hand, pause the lesson when necessary, and in no time I was running and gunning.. It just helped me a ton. I did a quick search of E-bay, and here are a couple links for you ....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-Digita...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nikon-D50-How-To...QQcmdZViewItem

I still go back from time to time and use the DVD to clarify something in the owners manual that I am having a hard time understanding...

Bill, here's a photo of the spiked Hawk you made last year.. It's very busy, and I am working on a new photo, something simple with a black blackground to focus more attention on the Hawk, but haven't got a keeper yet....

Good luck with the Nikon and Happy New year, Rich
Old 01-29-2006, 02:16 PM
Skilled

Thank you Terrill and Rich.

I'll try what you suggest Terrill and see if I can improve, the D50 only sets a ISO as low as 200 so I'll have to see what else I can do there, I really appreciate the advise, Lord knows I need lots of it.

Rich, that sure was a pretty hawk, I need to get busy and make another one. I'll check into those links and see what I can come up with. I also bought a 300mm F4 for wildlife photos so I need help in the great outdoors as well as under my knife tent.

Thanks again,

Bill

Tags
knife, knives