MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Some information that MIGHT help your knifemaking business

Morning everyone!

For a long time, there have been discussions on knifemakers accepting credit cards as a method of payment. At one time I had a credit card merchant account with a local bank, and it was so complicated, and the fees fluctuated so greatly that I finally just gave up on it, turned all my equipment in, and quit.

Recently I was chosen by the Montana Arts Council to attend a huge "Crafters" show in Louisville, KY. (the show is in Feb), and one of the requirements to attend the show it that the vendors accept credit cards. I went on the search, and yesterday spent most of my morning on the phone talking to different banks, etc, researching their credit card merchant accounts...... what a flippin nightmare! Fees up the wazoo, and no straight answers.

Then I remembered that Steve Kelly had told me about someone (an individual) who sets this stuff up for us small business/sole proprietors. I called Steve and he in turn had the individual call me last night. So far it is the simplest, and most cost effective solution for accepting credit cards that I have found. The individual is suppose to send me the paperwork today via email, and once I look it over CLOSELY, and make a decision, I'll let you now further thoughts.
If its as good as it appears (at least in comparison to the other options out there) it might be a very good thing for us small volume types. Once I'm sure its a good deal for knifemaker types, I'll have more information so that you can contact the individual if you'd like. Steve trusts the individual, and being one of my best friends, it Steve trusts the individual, then that good enough for me.

More to come!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-15-2009, 09:33 AM
Master

Good luck lining up the service. It's smart to work with a trusted expert. The big institutions may come through for you, but the small set up seems to be way down on the priority list and the gears tend to turn very slowly. It may be a dead end, but you might also inquire at Sam's Club for merchant services. Just a thought.

Have a great show, Craig
Old 01-15-2009, 06:23 PM
Skilled

Hey There,
I have been looking into getting a credit card machine myself, or trying to figure out how having your own credit card machine works anyway. I would be very interested in hearing how this turns out. Thanks Ed for the info. Shane
Old 01-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Once I find out if this is going to be as good as it appears, I'll let everyone know, and with permission, refer anyone who is interested to the individual that I'm dealing with.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Skilled

I'd be interested. I've thought about getting a cheap lap top and an air card and having the ability to use paypal right at my table. Don't know how big of a pain or hassle it would be, but I was considering it as an alternative.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:24 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Caffrey
Once I find out if this is going to be as good as it appears, I'll let everyone know, and with permission, refer anyone who is interested to the individual that I'm dealing with.
Hey Ed, you must have forgotten our converation at a knife show awhile back. Checkout ProPay online. Simple as can be. Iv'e used them for 4 years now without a hitch.

Old 01-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
Ed, What is the date for Louisville? And where will is it?.........carl

Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM
Steel Addict

Another reliable source for the little guy

Ed,
Try "Merchants Anywhere" they have a system that works through your phone with a card scanner attachment. Made for craft and trade show use. You can sign up for monthly plans or annual, pretty slick and money is instantly transfered. Fee is very reasonable.
Do a google search for their URL

[IMG]Click for information...[/IMG]
http://bradjohnsonknives.blademakers.com/
Old 01-16-2009, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

I took the time to look into both of the suggestions (ProPay and Merchants Anywhere).....the fees on the Propay are MUCH higher (and more of them) than what I'm looking at), and the Merchants Anywhere doesn't have the information on their site. When I look at the FAQs it was obvious to me that there wasn't any real information there....just stuff that makes the company look good. Don't want to deal with an outfit like that.

The show is going to be at the Fairgrounds in Louisville, Feb 19-22. The first two days are for wholesalers only, and then Sat/Sun are for the general public.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 01-16-2009, 09:06 AM
Steel Addict

I have been using the company that Ed is looking into, for about 2 1/2 years now. The way I got started with them was because the company I was using for my wife's business was raking us over the coals.
I new my neighbor worked for a credit card service provider, but had never spoke with her about it before. I had gotten so frustrated about the provider I was using, I wentover and talked with her about some suggestions for getting out of the contract I had with this other company.
She was really helpful and spent a lot of time helping me. She then got me set up with her company. I know I probably get some preferential treatment because she is my neighbor, but, it is really nice to have a face and friend in my corner. Most of these companies won't even allow you to speak with a real person. I know that she is very thorough and honest about what she does. And, anyone who does business with here will be treated fairly and honestly...

S.K. Knives
11407 Spotted Fawn Ln.
Bigfork, Mt. 59911
(406)837-1489
www.skknives.com
Old 01-16-2009, 11:19 AM
Skilled

Thanks Ed!

I'd, certainly, be interested in knowing the details. Thanks for all the hard work and for
keeping your fellow-makers in mind. I know how frustrating it can be when you spend
so much time on the phone trying to track down information.

Thanks friend,
Dana
Old 01-16-2009, 07:08 PM

I'm paying attention here, too. I got the 'best' deal I could get, even looking via ClarkHoward.com.

The fees are surprising me in a bad way. (The company I signed up from was Advanta Credit Cards, who transferred me to Express MPS, who since have changed to FirstData.com. Really stable.... )

I'd sure hate to jump ship just to find equal fees. I'll stay posted.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??

Tags
knife