MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 12-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Skilled

Winter Georgia Guild meeting

Charlie and I will be hosting the winter meeting on February 27th. The county has cleaned up the mess they made of the road by the little church so it should be easy to get into the shop even if this wet weather holds up.

The details aren't finalized yet, but as soon as we can tie some of the demonstrations down I will add to this thread. Charlie is working on something a little different for a demonstration this time that I think will be very interesting. Many of you won't want to miss it. If you have any suggestions for demonstrations give me a type and we will see what we can work out.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a safe New Year!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:08 AM
Steel Addict

YAY,

I can't wait to see everyone, I need to get out of my shop and see some people before I become a hermit

Georgia Knifemakers Guild
ABS Apprentice

"Wisdom and Experience are built from bricks made from the mud of Failure" Dr Mike Blue
Old 01-06-2010, 06:50 AM

Better stay next to the forge for a few more days Stephan! It's gonna get colder.
Hope late Feb will ease up a bit (temp wise) but we're overdue for a Global Warming induced kick-butt snow/ice blizzard.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Skilled

Time is getting closer and I hope that since the end of February is closer to spring than it is winter it will be a little warmer. If it is not ......at least the road won't be muddy. Charlie has arranged for a flint knapper to give us a demonstration on the art of making knives out of flint. He will also be glad to give some pointers if anyone wants to give it a try. We are working on a couple of other demonstrations and will keep everyone posted on what we come up with.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
Skilled

Sounds great Harry, I've been looking forward to it for a while. Hope I will be able to make it.

Carey

You are cordially invited to check out my web site:
Handmade Knives by Carey Quinn
Old 01-20-2010, 10:45 PM
Skilled

Carl has agreed to give us some information on selecting an anvil as a demonstration. There are a bunch of them out there and you need to know what makes a good one, one that will work and one that is only good to put in your planter next to an old wagon wheel. He will show ways to test anvils as well as talk about the different parts and how they are used and mounted...... At least I hope he will If you can stick one in the car and bring it with you we would love to add it to the line up and let Carl go down the row showing the qualities of each. I have several lined up with the possibility of a few more (that might be for sale) for him to work with, but would really like to have some more for the demonstration. So bring them if you got them. If you can get it in your trunk..... we can get it out!

Jim Small has agreed to make the John Poythress Scholarship Knife that will be auctioned at the February meeting. This is a chance to own a knife made by one of the Masters of knifemaking and that doesn't come around very often. You don't want to miss out on this one.

If Scott, Stephen or Randy want to chime in feel free. I'm guessing the meeting will be as usual with the Board Meeting starting at 8:00 on Saturday and the General meeting between 9:00 and 9:30, with the demonstrations following and then Lunch. After lunch the "Iron in the Hat" raffle and John Poythress Scholarship raffle. Bull sessions will be going on all day as usual and that is always the best part.

Hope to see everyone in February.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:57 AM

Don't know Harry, if I get around that many anvils I might not be able to talk right!
If my truck looks a little low in the back on the way home........it's just my box of hammers and tongs.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Skilled

Here is a picture of the knife that will be the John Poythress Scholarship raffle knife at the winter meeting of the Georgia Guild. A beautiful knife by a world class maker that someone is going to carry home with them on Saturday the 27th of February.

"This design is one of my all time sellers from the Oconee Series that I
did back in the late 80's and all of the 90's. The blade is ATS-34
with a wide hollow grind. The blade is 600 grit hand finished. The
engraving is deep relief and the pins are star burst engraved. The
wood is Triple "A" Desert Ironwood. The tang is not tapered, but is air
framed for lightness. James Mitchell has volunteered to scrim a picture on the Ivory Inlay." Jim Small

I hope everyone can make the meeting. We will have our usual social on Friday night starting whenever you can get here. We will have a pot of chilie on and a fire going out back. Saturday Carl is going to do a demonstration on anvils as well as have a forge or two going, Charlie has arranged for a demonstration on flint knapping, so if that is something you have wanted to try don't miss it. Don't forget something for "the iron in the hat raffle". That is how we pay for lunch. As always there will be a bunch of great knife makers around willing to tell you how they make their knives.

If you need directions to our shop, check the Georgia Custom Knifemaker's Guild site or send us an e-mail and we will send some right out. You can also enter this in Google maps and it will take you to our gate. (121 Mount Pisgah Church Rd, Statesboro, Ga 30458)

Old 01-26-2010, 09:06 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Mathews View Post

I CAN'T WAIT

that is a beautiful knife, I'll definitely bring some extra cash

do you know if Pop's is going to be there?

Georgia Knifemakers Guild
ABS Apprentice

"Wisdom and Experience are built from bricks made from the mud of Failure" Dr Mike Blue
Old 01-26-2010, 04:26 PM
Skilled

Pop's plans are, right now, to be here for the February meeting. If you need something specific you might want to give him a call. If this changes, I'll post it prior to the meeting.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

Hey guys , i am hoping to be there friday nite , I think Will and Davin are going to come on down with me . Looking forward to just sitting around and talking knives . Hope to see everyone there .

Yes , that sounds about right on the meeting times . Start officers meeting at 8:00 , and demo's around 9-9:30. Scott

Old 01-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Enthusiast

hope to see you friday Harry.george
Old 02-02-2010, 06:49 PM

hello, im sorry but i did not see what part of georgia this will be held in. Can anyone help me out--thanks marekz
Old 02-03-2010, 05:38 AM
Skilled

Harry and Charlie live near Statesboro, Georgia. Here is their website.

http://www.twinxblades.com/

You can drop them a line and they will be more than happy to give you directions.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 AM

Welcome aboard airon. You live in a good neck of the woods.....Big Dawg Country!
You might also want to look up one of our members that lives in Watkinsville, John Costa. He always seems to enjoy company at the forge and he has a pretty nice setup...indoors.
I'll send you his # via PM.
Hope you can make it down. You will enjoy yourself and meet some mighty fine folks (just don't listen when they talk about me).
Also am extending an invite to Trackrock in March (see other thread). Many of the same guys will be there as well.

C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
blade, forge, ironwood, ivory, knife, knives