MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fine Embellishment

Fine Embellishment Everything from hand engraving and scrimshaw to filework and carving. The fine art end of the knifemaker's craft.

Old 06-19-2006, 05:48 AM
Steel Addict

Atlanta Blade Show

What a wonderful experience I had at the show. Got to meet all the talented folks on the forum. Met a lot of old friends, and made some new ones. We got together Saturday evening for dinner, and had a great time.

Anybody who missed this should think about going next year

Keep up the good work everybody.

Yours truly,
JJ Roberts
Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Brian Marshall
OK,

I'm back too - wrecked, but I'm back. It was a pretty interesting trip.

I'm too old to be trying to sleep in airports... The first leg plane had mechanical trouble, so I missed the second leg. Got stuck in Phoenix Friday night and most of Saturday morning.

They've fixed the seating nowadays to discourage sleeping in the waiting area. However, I am thin enough to slide underneath the fixed armrests. I did that, and added a bit of padding to keep the steel bars from leaving a permanent impression in my back. I guess security figured if I was ingenious enough to do that, I deserved to be left alone?

Got to Atlanta 12 hours later than I had planned. Made the 6:00pm dinner by just 5 minutes. Had way too much to eat, and met so many people that I will still be trying to match the names to the faces by this time next year.

Atlanta has 4 MILLION denizens, and about 2 million of those must be students at the college. My hotel turned out to be in the middle of the college district... (I've no idea why my wife chose it, she didn't come with me, and I have yet to see her since I returned)

Suffice it to say that the Atlanta students do not use that hotel for sleeping purposes... and I was surrounded on all sides - above, below, and either side.

It occurred to me each time that I woke up, that perhaps I might have done something similar when I was a pup? I think my karma was completely repaid in only one night.

What I did on Sunday at the show is a bit of a blur. I'm still unpacking, and expect more surprises.

Coming back, barely made the plane, because of course you cannot carry knives on board. ("dangerous instruments of destruction") I'd bought two. I had no checked baggage coming into Atlanta, but I'd picked up a scope stand at the show. Re-wrapped it in smelly old clothes, taped the knives to the shaft under the used underwear and socks, and re-boxed it. Put it in the checked luggage.

Hoped that if the box busted, the knives would remain out of the view of thieves, and that the used underwear would discourage further investigation. It busted WIDE open. My plan worked - nobody messed with the knives!

The scope stand boxed weighed 48 pounds. I then had to carry the busted open box to the parking shuttle, and another 4 blocks or so from where they drop you off. Took a while...

Don't remember any of the drive home from the airport. Full autopilot.

Now I need about 3 days sleep, then gotta get ready for 3 weeks of back to back classes. I'm guessing that those who actually set up at the show won't be all the way back to normal 'till the end of the week?

I did get to meet almost all of the people I wanted to meet in spite of having only half the time I'd planned to do it in. I WILL eventually meet those I missed!

All in all, a better than average trip for me... No new fractures, or hospital stays involved.

Brian P. Marshall
Stockton Jewelry Arts School
Stockton, CA USA
209-477-0550
instructor@jewelryartschool.com

Last edited by Brian Marshall; 06-19-2006 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-19-2006, 05:51 PM
Guru

Hell Brian!

After you weathered all of that...wanna' go elk hunting with me this fall?...

Great meeting you, it was a fine time!

Tim
Old 06-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
It was indeed great to see/meet everyone who was there. We missed the ones who weren't!

Mark Simpson, Ray Cover, and I added an extra day to the trip, and went to Scott Pilkington's beautiful place in Tennessee. Scott was a great host, and we enjoyed our time there. Pictures to follow!

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Old 06-20-2006, 07:59 AM
Living Legend

i had a great show again, it was nice to meet every body . the dinner was again great and looking forward to next years show .. ron p.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:44 PM
Master

AMEN don,

You guys that missed out on the trip to Scott's house missed a fun time an a beautiful view. Scott took us on a hike around his property and it was absolutely gorgeous out there.

I don't know who to give credit to. I don't know if it was Scott or Rhonda but somebody there smokes a pretty mean chicken (that was some of the best chicken I ever ate ).

Ray

ray@rcoverengraving.com
Old 06-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Steel Addict

She did that to me too once when I went up there. I didn't know chicken could taste better than Momma's but she sure went and done it!

I liked it so much she gave me some of that secret seasoning to take to my wife to try. Super real people and a nice little ol' mini ranch he's got there too, my kinda folks.

Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Don Cowles
I promised pics of Scott's place... none that I took can do the view justice, so here are a couple of personality shots.

First, here is Scott in his domain at the top of his house-

...and here is Ray preparing to do a bit of engraving...

Don Cowles Custom Knives

Last edited by Don Cowles; 06-23-2006 at 06:39 AM.

Tags
blade, knife, knives