MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 06-16-2005, 12:28 PM
Steel Addict

Question Tell me about SW Idaho

Well, it looks like the family and I might be moving to the Boise area by the end of the year. The wife's asthma is really giving her a hard time here in the Portland OR area and we're ready for a change.

What can you guys (and gals) tell us about the Boise area? First off: are there any fellow metal pounders in the area? I know that Chris Reeve's operation is there. Ironically it's a Project I that got me interested in knives to begin with.

Are there any areas that we should look into or avoid when looking to purchase a home? We're hoping to get some place with a little bit of land. I don't want to move into a new place and piss off the neighbors by finally being able to afford a power hammer.

What are the weather extremes like? Summer? Winter? One thing we are really having a tough time with right now is that the winters here seem like they are an endless grey overcast. We're lucky to see the sun more than a couple days in a row. I'm hoping that the Boise area isn't so depressing in the winter.

Any way, I'd appreciate any information you can give.

Thanks,

- Mike Routen

Old 06-16-2005, 02:37 PM
Guru

Hey Mike,

I am just outside of Boise (30 mi north), work in Boise. I was raised here, went into the Corps, and then went to school in Corvallis. Started my working life in Corvallis and came back to Idaho about 3 years ago. A lot of the same reasons, wife's allergies, kids hating the gray overcast.

You will like the climate. It get's hotter in the summer, but there is a lot more sunshine in the winter. I could justify a road bike once I moved, since I could use it more than 3 months a year. I ride dirt bike's most of the year, and can get into some good snow if I want with a short drive.

If you can give me an idea of what part of Boise you may be working in, and your price range for a home/land I can probably help you with areas. Some are better depending on where you work so the drive is tolerable.

We moved out of Boise and to Emmett based on my loathing for home owners associations and the wannabe nazi's that ran it (but that's a different rant).

PM me if you want and I can try and help you. I don't get to do enough pounding, but I fire up the forge whenever I can.

--Carl

BTW -- The thing my wife misses the most about Oregon is the easy access to the ocean.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:01 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Boise?!

Ahh man.... a fellow metal smusher moving away.

Actually I can't blaim ya. This year has been incredibly crappy for weather and allergies. My allergies have been going gung ho also.

Well... you'll definatelty have to stay in touch. My family and I might stop by and say hi sometime as we sometimes visit my family in Wyoming.

I'd hate to see you go.... but completely understand.

Chris Nilluka

Tags
forge, knives