MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 07-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Skilled

a shop picture, finally

Well, I think I finally figured out how to host my own photos, so here's one I promised a while back, my new forge chimney installation.

In good neotribal fashion, it's all put together out of reused stuff that would otherwise have been hauled to the dump. It's side draft, with a ductwork box leading back to a 14 inch round pipe that's inside a 16x18 duct section. The ductwork and forge table legs used to be part of a swingset one of my neighbors threw out. The side facing the duck's nest is 3 triangles of 16ga stainless steel, two fixed to the ductwork box and one that slides up and down so I can close it to keep out the critters when I'm not forging. The top where the smoke exits (ok, usually exits, unless the wind is blowing the wrong way) is also stainless and used to be part of a heat shield on something. The upright section (outer layer) is bolted to a metal bar that's bolted to the side of the roof and inside to the next rafter with some long threaded rod, slightly visible in the picture, also scrounged. The barrel behind the forge table is full of homemade charcoal
Old 07-27-2004, 02:37 AM
Hall of Famer

Nice

Neo-Tribal, keep it simple. Thanks for showing.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 07-27-2004, 07:47 PM
Master

Lookin' Good!

I just got my own chimney built this saturday. Still gotta do a side-draft hood for it, though. One thing that struck me as I looked at yours: If you remove/cut out most of that stainless thingy at the top that lookes like a semi-truck exhaust heat exchanger you'd get a better draw. The best-drawing forge chimney I ever had before this current one used a short section of slightly larger tubing telescoped over the top of the main chimney as a rain cap, with no direct obstruction to the smoke flow. This only worked in western Kentucky where the wind never stopped blowing, but since you're kind of on the piedmont it may work for you too. Does the rain ever fall straight vertically down at your house? If not, I bet you'd be pleasantly happy with the low-loss stack cap. I got it from an engineer I'm sure you've read posts from over on keenjunk.com named Tony.

Otherwise, since you're forging and I've still not got the shop set up since I moved, you've got me beat by a mile!
Old 07-27-2004, 10:20 PM
Master

Hurry up Alan and get 'er blowing and glowin'! I might order sumphin from yaws.

Old 07-28-2004, 11:20 AM
Master

Richard, I'm going as fast as I can on it! If it weren't for having a job I'd get a lot more stuff done ... You're better than me now anyway, what would you want from poor 'ol me?
Old 07-28-2004, 01:25 PM
Skilled

Yeah Alan, I remember reading Tony's posts. I went with the cap style mostly because with a pipe this wide I wasn't sure whether a lot of rain might get in anyway if I used the telescope style. I figure the bottom will rust out first anyway, but why encourage it with extra water. That, and I didn't have any larger tubing to use outside, the only real downside of going with free stuff. But it seems to draw well enough as it is with the big pipe diameter and relatively tall stack. If I ever make walls, I may have to switch then. Of course I also have almost enough parts laying around to make a second chimney, including some smaller diameter stainless duct pieces, so if I can convince myself that I really need a second forge I may try it.

The only other thing I'd like to find soon is a good solid cast iron grating for where the air comes into the duck's nest. I presently use a big piece of steel with holes, but too much falls through and burns down where I don't want it to. Anyone know a good place to find such a thing?

Michael "NT smokin' chicken"
Old 07-28-2004, 02:57 PM
Master

How big (wide) do you want the slots to be? I've had pretty good luck using a chunk of half-inch plate with slots torch-cut in it. Five inch diameter circular chunk o'plate, three slots, not cleaned up, about 3/8" to 1/2" wide, evenly spaced. Of course, I don't know if you have a torch.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:33 AM
Skilled

No torch unfortunately. The plate I have originally had four 3/4 inch holes, giving not quite enough air, so I ground out a path between two of them with an angle grinder. That made enough air but the groove is too wide now that I'm using smaller coal and charcoal. Plus it took forever and used up a couple of grinder disks. I suppose I should find someone local who has a torch and get them to make one like you suggest.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:57 AM
Hall of Famer

MStu.
Guy on ebay sells cast iron throat plates.

Telll me how big you want it. I'll torch one and send it to ya for shipping costs

Old 07-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Skilled

Sweany, I'll take you up on your kind offer, that would be great! The old one was close to 4 by 6 inches, but I just looked and the air hole itself is an oval shape that a piece 3x4 or larger should cover. Anything in that range of sizes would be perfect, I usually clay it in place so the exact size isn't critical. I'll send you a pm with my address.

Thanks,

Michael
Old 07-30-2004, 07:17 AM
Hall of Famer

Hey Mstu, my mailbox was full, email me sweanymd@yahoo.com

Old 07-30-2004, 11:38 AM
Skilled

Sweany, email sent.

Hey, here's something I just made at this same forge, more details are in the Historical Inspiration forum.

Old 07-30-2004, 08:33 PM
Master

I like that blade! I have a torch, but at the moment it's not hooked to any tanks, so no help there Good on ya, Sweany!
Old 08-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Hall of Famer

Hey MSTU I forgot the plate this morning I'll get it tommorrow sorry

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife