MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-17-2004, 08:57 PM
Living Legend

Question for Makers and buyers - BIG FOLDERS

I'm just wondering... How many of you like the very large folders ? I'd consider a folder with a blade 4inches and over to be large. I'm speaking of knives like the Madd Maxx, Jens Anso's Amok model, Lone Wolf / Harsey Ranger, etc. etc. Do you find them more, or less useful, than say a 3inch blade EDC folder. Aside from "wow" and "intimidation" value and for so-called "defensive" purposes, are there things that large folders excel at ?

For the knifemakers ... Do you find making larger folders to be easier than working with smaller blades and parts ?

Thanks in advance for your responses. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to blademan Send a message via Yahoo to blademan
Big Folders

Jason
Not all large folders are for "defensive purposes" or "intimidation"
Around hunting season I sell a Lot of my folding skinners,
it has a 5/32" thick blade by 4" and OAL 8 1/4" I have found out
their are a lot of hunters don't want to carry a fixed blade straped
to their side, some want to just fold it up and put in their hunting
coat. However the name of the knife is going to change to the
"RAZORBACK" sense I'm moving to Arkansas in the next 6 mos.
Take a look and tell me what you think

http://www.jparksknives.com/Folders/Bigtex.jpg

James

KnifeMakers Are Pretty Sharp People
Old 11-18-2004, 12:14 AM
Living Legend

You're correct. I didn't mean to imply that big folders are only for "tactical" purposes, although that seems to be a trend at the moment. Big folding hunters have been around for a long time. I'm told that locally (in Oz), the CRKT versions of the Russ Kommer's folding hunters are selling well. And they are BIG knives.

I like that folder; the very dropped handle angle should make for a more relaxed wrist angle when skinning. Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 11-18-2004, 08:46 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

This is my Chupacabra folder. It has a 4" blade, 3/16ths thick and pivots on a half inch diameter pivot. The scales are 3/16ths titanium and the knife weighs 3/4 of a pound:

To answer your questions, I have sold a good number of these, I don't find them easier to make than smaller folders. My idea was to make a folder that would take the same abuse as a fixed blade knife might, and this one will. However, it must be carried on your belt and it's pretty heavy so, after a while, I think people tend to leave it at home. We know how useful a knife is when we leave it at home, don't we?

I have made other large folders that were vey light and the 'wow' factor seems to sell them but I'm not convinced they get carried nearly as much as a regular folder and they are no easier to make in my opinion....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-18-2004, 09:23 AM

Hi Jason! With the most often used 3 1/2 inch limitation on blade length for any knife carried in a concealed manner (as in one's pocket or coat or whatever), and for practical reasons of weight and size, I have mostly smaller knives that I carry daily. I do like larger folders and have a couple of really nice ones with blades over 4 inches that I'll wear on my belt in a thin black denier sheath with a velcro flap - I'm talking about around town and if I'm in the mood - not all that often.
But most of the large folders I have are factory modles and I use them for two things: outdoor activities involving work like camping, brush removal, tree trimming and fire mitigation stuff OR for protection.

If I want to carry a knife for protection I have two or three basic black tactical knives all set up in the same way. I remove the pocket clips (which I have never found useful anyway - plus they're a giveaway that you're carrying a knife!) and any other stuff hanging off of them. I apply some black grip tape strategically on the handle slabs a) for a secure grip and, more importantly b) so I can slip the knife in between my pants and shirt down low at the waist. Nobody can see it (it is barely visible above the belt-line) and because of the grip tape it stays put until I'm back in the car or in the building or whatever, at which point I'll remove it - for comfort reasons.

There is one knife I prefer above all others for this purpose: the Spyderco Masad Ayoob model - fully serrated blade. It's tough, slim, light and extremely functional. Ayoob is well known in the handgun world and this knife is designed for 'pistol grip' holding. I'd love to see a custom version of similar design (one that wouldn't infringe on copyrighted features).

Sorry for the lengthy response - got a little carried away there.

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 11-18-2004, 02:56 PM
Master

Personally I don't like big folders. If they're too big to be comfy in my pocket, then I'd rather carry a fixed blade.

Old 11-18-2004, 03:30 PM
Skilled

I think I'm with Andrew. A folder, to me, is to be compact enough to carry in a pocket. A 5+ inch folder doesn't fit. Just as well carry a really cool fixed blade on my side. Just my 2 pennies worth.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:59 AM
Steel Addict

I primarily make small folders in the size of around 3 inches closed and 5 1/4 inches opened. Most of my knives are thin and very unobtrusive when carrying them in your front pocket. I guess the reason I like these kind of knife is because I work in an office and sit at a desk all day. In this situation a large knife is not needed, and I hate the weight of a heavy knife in my front pocket. However, my teacher and knifemaking mentor likes to make large folding knives.

I actually find it easier to grind small blades than large blades. With a small blade I have an easier time keeping it flat on the grinder. Here is a picture of one of my favorite patterns designed to be a EDC.

-chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 11-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Skilled

Really big folders don't do much for me. When they get up there in size and weight, you might as well have a fixed blade on your hip. I tend to prefer a "gent's" type folder in the 2 1/2" to 3" blade range - that's plenty enough for my admittedly light EDC knife requirements. Again, if I needed a blade for heavier-duty outdoor-type work, there are any number of fixed blades that would fit the bill.

Cheers,

Roger
Old 11-19-2004, 05:10 PM
Skilled

ok, I guess I am the exception I carry a Darrel Ralph Madd Maxx, the 4" blade (cause that's what's legal in NYC) with Mike Norris D2 damascus. It is my everyday, beat'em up knife. The handle to blade ratio is so good that I have knives with 3 1/2" blades that are longer (overall) than the Madd Maxx. I am partial to large 4" blade folders that are fairly flat, for pocket carry. My other day in day out pocket knife is a Bob Lum Large Chinese Folder. So I guess it's just a matter of preference, I have medium size hands but I find most knives with 3" or smaller blades difficult to open one handed.

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 11-19-2004, 06:48 PM
Steel Addict

I am a small guy and have small hands, so I prefer smaller knives. I like the small sebenza better than the large sebenza, as an example. I see no advantage to a larger knife other than maybe being less prone to being broken (but I'm not that hard on things) and I find a smaller knife more comfortable to use and carry, so that's where my decision comes from.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:23 AM
Skilled

Okay, I take it all back. BIG folders can be VERY cool:

4" blade, 9" opened - Brian Tighe, pic by knifeart:

Roger
Old 11-20-2004, 07:35 AM
Enthusiast

Yep - Saw that earlier - probably the first tactical type design that has had me wondering what part of my body I could sell.

Stephen
Old 11-20-2004, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I've found that for every type of knife, there is someone who likes it. I tend to stay with smaller folders because that is what sells for me. I have made a few VERY LARGE folders, and find that they will often times sit around for a while before someone purchases them. On a personal note, I don't like to carry larger folders, for reasons mentioned previously. I find that about 3 to 3 1/4" bladed folders are about as large as I can carry comfortably.
With the limitations imposed by the law in many areas, I think that customers tend to stick with smaller blade lengths to avoid troubles in that realm.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-21-2004, 06:39 AM
Steel Addict

This is one that just fits in my jeans pocket. It's by Gene Anderson at SW Bladecraft. I hope to own it by Christmas (ATTN: SPOUSE) It is about a 5+ inch blade and 12 inch overall. The acrylic slabs look like pearl. I think it would be a great picnic knife. You can cover a whole piece of bread with mustard in one stroke

n

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, hunting knife, knife, knives