MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 10-21-2003, 09:35 PM

1st demo of the GKG

Last Saturday when we had our first planning session for the Georiga Knifemaker's Guild, a few people hung around. Everyone had a good time showing "tips & tricks" and talking with each other.

Alvin (Oldgrinder) Kinsey, liked the grinding jig that John uses to flat grind. Below is Alvin's reproduction of it. Kathleen could not wait to get home to make one, she just sat at John's grinder and took off grinding.

This is an idea John picked up from Phillip & Barry Jones in the North Carolina Guild.

Old 10-22-2003, 04:28 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
That's a really great fixture. I tried something similar with my Square Wheel. I Vise-Gripped the blade to the side of a piece of channel iron, tilted the platen forward until I had the angle I wanted to grind at, and let the bottom of the channel iron ride on the toolrest. It worked OK for roug grinding, but when finishing time came around, it seemed like the angle was never the same. I guess that's the time to break out the flat piece of wood and sandpaper.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 11-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Steel Addict

That flat grinding jig looks like a winner. Is there any way you can post some more pictures of it and explain how your using it? Thanks.
Old 11-01-2003, 07:14 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Militano
That flat grinding jig looks like a winner. Is there any way you can post some more pictures of it and explain how your using it? Thanks.
Tom,
I'd be glad to post more pictures, but I have dismantel the jig(due to a customer wanting me to make him 8 knives) It was only temporary put together with clamps. As far as explanations on it's use this was my first go at it. I just set an angle somewhere around 85 degrees, started at the bottom of the platen moving up the blade keeping the handle flat against the back plate till the blade came in contact with the belt and worked the blade as you normally would on the platen. I know this must sound vague as I'm not really experience with using this jig. I suggest you
cantact John for more detail info.
Thanks,
Alvin(oldgrinder)
Old 11-01-2003, 08:46 PM

Hi Tom,

If you want to see more pictures of the jig and how John attaches and uses it, you can go to the North Carolina Custom Knifemaker's Guild Forum to the "pass it on" post. John has posted more pictures there and some other info on the jig.

Hope this helps

Joan

Old 11-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks Joan. I think I'll make me one when I get a chance and give it a try. I've been doing a lot of flat grinding lately.

Tags
blade, knife, knives