MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Georgia Knifemaker's Guild

Georgia Knifemaker's Guild The Georgia Knifemaker's Guild. Furthering and fostering the passion of knives, knifemaking, and related interests

Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Guild 2012 Spring Meeting Photos

The Georgia Custom Knifemaker?s Guild 2012 Spring meeting was held Saturday, May 12th, at the shop of Andy Roy (Fiddleback Forge) and Dylan Fletcher (Fletcher Knives) in Cumming.

The social Friday evening had a modest turnout, about a dozen or so. I believe 9 of us gathered at Longhorn?s for dinner.

Saturday weather was not too bad, overcast that kept the temps down, a sporadic shower or two during the day.

The Board met about 8:30 am;
? Members present:
o Don Tommey, VP
o Randy Scott, Secretary
o Craig Schneeber, Member-at-Large
? Members absent:
o Charlie Mathews, President
o Ken Simmons, Treasurer
o Joe Sangster, Scholarship Chairman
? Charlie?s term as President expired in Feb however, he extended a quarter. He had advised the VP and Secretary of his desire to effect that transition at this meeting but due to family obligations was unable to attend.
? 2012 Guild meeting schedule;
o Summer ? Dennis Bradley has volunteered; date to be determined
o Fall ? Joe Sangster has volunteered; date to be determined
o Winter ? Host, date and location to be determined
? Officer elections;
o President ? this meeting of the Board adjourned with the intent of contacting several recommended persons to ascertain interest.]
 Subsequently, Henry Cambron agreed to permit his name to be put forth into nomination.
? Subsequent to the adjournment of the General Meeting, we called another General Meeting, announced the position was opened, sought nominations from the floor. Motion made and seconded for Henry Cambron as President, and elected by voice acclimation. Term 2 years, expires Feb 2014.
? Additionally, during either the General Membership Meeting or the subsequent General Membership Meeting, Wayne Hensley addressed the Board members present and the members and asked for a $100 donation to the AKTI, American Knife and Tool Institute, to support their efforts regarding onerous regulations against law abiding knife carrying citizens.
o Subsequently, a Quorum of Board members approved.
? Demonstrations: we have a lot of new members; if you want a specific demonstration, contact a board member or post it to a thread in this forum. We will get it to Don Tommey, our VP, and he will find a volunteer to present the demo.
? Membership: we have not forgotten our fellow knifemaker?s in the southern part of the state. The Board is discussing options to make it easier for them to attend meetings.
? Blade 2012: just a reminder ? it is just a month away.. no pressure for those with tables!

The General Meeting was adjourned. The Demo schedule for the day was as follows:
Dan Eastland ? making a wooden knife case.
Andy Roy and Dylan Fletcher ? grinding demo
Randy Scott ? forging demo

We had a four new members join the Guild: Brian Sorensen, Paul Brach, Luke Snyder & Jerry Brinegar. Welcome aboard! Look for their photos in the line up that follows.

Shelters and tables were provided courtesy of the Flint River Cutlery Club and I believe two of the popups were provided by Jason Herrington. Thank you.

The demos were presented until we broke for lunch. Speaking of lunch, no one went away hungry. The BBQ was prepared by Jason Herrington, a member of the Georgia Tech BBQ team. The coleslaw and beans were from Jim and Nick?s BBQ. Good eats!

After lunch we conducted the Iron in the Hat followed by the Scholarship Knife raffle. The Scholarship Knife was donated by Jim Ragsdale. Thank you Jim! Marsha Brewer took home the knife.

Just for the record: There was PLENTY of BBQ left over?. So, our hosts suggested and received a unanimous approval of bagging up the extra and putting it in the Iron in the Hat as the last items. When was the last time anyone saw interest in the Iron in the Hat table till the very last item was picked up? I believe there were 12 bags of BBQ that went home with folks.

I didn?t get a head count but it was a good turn out.

On behalf of the Board and the membership I thank Andy and Dylan for hosting. Additionally, Leah and Hannah Roy also are acknowledged for assisting on the food line and IITH and Scholarship ticket sales and the ticket drawing.

And finally, thank each of you for your continued involvement in and support of the Georgia Custom Knifemaker?s Guild. My apologies if I missed anyone.

I look forward to seeing everyone at the Summer Meeting of the Guild.

Randy Scott
Secretary

James Mitchell and Doug Adams volunteered to take the meeting photographs. Thank you James and Doug!

The text describing the photo is below the photo.

Becky Hensley and Larry McEachern?s wife

New member Brian Sorensen, left, and Dylan Fletcher, right.

New member Luke Snyder, center with red/black shirt; Dan Moye to Luke?s right and Wayne Hensley at the bandsaw.

Let?s see? hmmm, Craig Schneeberger, Jim Ragsdale, new member Jerry Brinegar with the blue jacket. Behind Jerry is guest JGooder (?).

This a little more difficult; left to right; Bubba aka Warren Glover, then Mike Wilson, unknown to me guest, Jim Hamer, and behind Jim is new member Paul Brach, Dan Eastland and Craig Schneeberger.

L-R; Becky Hensley, Brian Sorensen, Dylan Fletcher and Scott Davidson.

L-R: Henry Cambron (our new President), Doug Adams, Rick Lowe, Dan Moye & Luke Snyder.

Andy Roy during his grinding demo.

Foreground ? the Pres and VP, Henry Cambron and Don Tommey respectively.

L-R: Stephan Fowler, Carl Rechsteiner, a couple of guest, perhaps Andy Roy under the dark cap and perhaps Cliff Thrower.

Continued in Post #2

Last edited by RandyScott; 05-22-2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Continued from Post #1

Looking over some knives.

New member Paul Brach in the foreground. Note: there are two shelters in this photo, courtesy of the Flint River Knife Club.

No text

No text.

Somebody is checking out the food.

L-R; Ralph Mitchell and Jim Ragsdale. Jim donated the knife for the Scholarship Raffle.

No text

No Text

Nola and Jerry Costin.

Starting to get quiet now.. food is being served.

Continued in Post #3

Last edited by RandyScott; 05-22-2012 at 07:32 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Continued from Post #2

Scott Davidson and a guest. You may not be able to see Scott?s face but I know for a fact there was a big ol? grin on this new grandad?s face.

Food being served and Jerry trying to cut a deal on IITH tickets!

No text

No text

No text

No text

No text

No text

No text

Randy Scott during his ?forging? demo.. hmm, notice the forge isn?t lit up?

Continued in Post #4

Last edited by RandyScott; 05-22-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:55 PM

Continued from Post #3

No text

Adam Reese and James Mitchell.

Appears to be either the General Membership meeting in the morning or when we called a special meeting to elect our new President, Henry Cambron.

No text

No text

Dylan Fletcher during his demo.

Andy Roy purchasing IITH tickets.

No text.

No text.

L-R; Don Tommey, Craig Schneeberger & Wayne Hensley

Continued in Post #5

Last edited by RandyScott; 05-22-2012 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:34 PM

Continued from Post #4

Well, after Carl and Andy shamed me, I lit up the forge and actually hit some hot metal. You?ll notice the crowd had thinned substantially by that time.

Thanks again to James and Doug for providing the photos.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:45 PM

Andy and I both had a great time. Thank you everyone for coming!!
Old 05-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Steel Addict

I had a great time also. It is always good to see everyone and meeting the new ones. Thanks Dylan and Andy for hosting the meeting. Yall have a very nice shop.
Doug Adams
Jn. 3:16
Old 05-23-2012, 10:16 PM
Steel Addict

Don, that smock is classic.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

what a good looking group.
Old 05-26-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks for a good time. I had fun and met a few more people to talk knives with

Tags
forge, knife, knives, post