MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 AM
Skilled

what is your average belt consumption

I was just wondering how many belts you guys go through for say an average sized hunting knife.

Also if you use new belts after heat treat, what do you use them afterwards for if they are not totally dull? Grinding handles?

Does anything work for rejuvenating them(those belt cleaning bar things).

Thanks again!
Old 10-17-2008, 11:06 AM
Skilled

Hey Tom,

Great questions! It kind of depends on what kind of belts you use, are you knocking off the slag from heat treat with a file before you put the blade to belt, how much force you use during grinding...that sort of thing.

But, I'd say you should not use up a single belt on just one blade if your using good belts, not forcing the work and are cleaning off carbonization that will clog the belt. Oh, and you can turn the belt direction around and get a second life.

I actually rotate belts to do finer jobs as they dull. An 80 grit belt that will not cut steel fast enough to satisfy me will cut a handle blank just fine. A 220 grit that's worn out will still shape brass and smooth wood. I have 'um hanging everywhere. Some for wood, some for brass, some for steel. But then, I'm a pack rat.

Heck, I even cut down old 4 x 36 belts to fit palm sanders. Just can't let anything go. ;~)

Hope that's the kind of stuff lookin' for.

chiger,
Old 10-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
My formula is one new belt per grit, for each knife.

To break it down further, I generally will use a "used" belt for profiling and rough grinding prior to heat treating. Once heat treating is done, it all new belts. All those belts used for finish grinding after heat treating are recycled for their tour of duty as profiling belts, and when things get too worn for my taste to use on knives, they go to the Blacksmith shop and finish out their lives as deburring, etc.

On average, I spent $300+ on each belt order, how often I order is based on month to month knife numbers. Looking back at my records, I average spending that amount on belts every two months.

Nothing will make your work look better, and make your work easier, than using high quality, sharp belts. Trying to grind with dull belts creates a lot of heat, makes you work harder, and makes "clean" grinds much more difficult.

When you where here, I was always checking how much "life" the belt your were using had. If it was past a certain point where I noticed things where getting difficult for you, we changed out to a new one. I have been in teaching situations in other makers' shops who had students using all their dull belts. At one point I got so frustrated that I simply went to the belt rack and picked off all the "dull" belts and walked them to the trash. The individual wasn't too happy with me, but I think it got the point across......don't handicap yourself, and especially those who are learning, but having them use dull belts.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Skilled

I knew Ed would hold my feet to the fire about the new belts especially after heat treat.

I have been burning them up just trying to figure out how to rough grind!

I realize now my mistake was forging 5 knives at once and trying to grind them all. I wouls have been better off just doing one and learning from it. now I have a lot of forging mistakes to try and fix on the grinder

thanks guys, those are exactly what I was looking for in replies.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Here's a tip from Fuad Accawi, shared during a grinding demo recently - when your blade starts getting dull, "freshen" it up by running the edge of an old grinding wheel from a bench grinder across the belt as it's running. This sharpens the rounded corners of the belt grit & will give some more life to your worn belts.

randy
Old 10-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Skilled

Tom,
I used to believe that belts were my biggest expense. I finally learned last winter that belts are consumables. When I feel that I'm having to work harder to get the job done I change to a new belt. After I started this process I notice a marked improvement in all my grinds. Also it was not taking as long to do the job I wanted to achieve.

The one thing that will take some experimenting with is what belts you like to use. I have tried most of the cheap ones. Waste of my $$$ and time. I no longer try to save on belt money. Thats just a cost of doing what we love to do.

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
Old 10-29-2008, 06:52 PM
Living Legend

I just smoked seven belts making a dozen file guides out of S7. The guides were tempered at 300 deg so they would have just enough flex that they would not snap like glass if tightened unevenly. On the next batch of guides I am going be using my multi-stone surfacer to clean them up after HT. The stones are cheaper and I don't have to order them and wait a week to get them.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:48 PM
Hall of Famer

I kind of follow Ed's advice. New knife new belts. Someone once told me to use belts as if they were free. I really don't keep track of how many I use. Unlike many here knife making is a hobby for me. I sell my knives and squirrel away that money for new tools and supplies. So when I need belts I order more.

Old 10-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Skilled

thanks for all the input guys! i just found out it doesn't matter how many belts you use, when you screw up the heat treat!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Hey Tom,

If you haven't heard it already, then eventually the questions is gona be asked of you..... "How long does it take to make a knife?"

For a long time I tried to figure out what to answer....it finally dawned on me, that I'm continuously learning, so my answer when asked is..... "25 years!" At least until next year, then the answer goes to "26 years".

Its an ever going learning process, just do what works for you, and keep doing the best you can.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 10-30-2008, 11:47 AM
Skilled

the whole time i was in iraq dreaming about making knives, i never pictured pulling out what little hair I have left!
that said I am heading back to the shop for a little more self flagellation...hope my bowie din't crack in addition to the warp!

Tags
blade, forging, hunting knife, knife, knife making, knives