MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 08-19-2005, 11:17 AM
Enthusiast

Randall 1-8, sheaths question

Perhaps you guys can help fill in some details for me on a recent knife I traded for. I have a Randall 1-8 with two original factory sheaths that I got from the original purchaser. He told me he bought it in the late 70's or early 80"s. Do you concur?

At the time of purchase he also worked with Randall to get the second sheath made for it for a "high ride" option. They are both original sheaths for this knife. The sheaths appear to be Johnson era to me and I think they were providing sheaths to Randall in that time period? I do remember visiting Johnny Johnson in their shop in Cassleberry FL around 1982 and he was making their sheaths then. Neither sheath has a stone pocket, and both are marked 1-8.

Did Randall offer this second sheath style as an option, or is this a rare sheath?

The knive has 5 spacers: Thick red, thin white, thick black, thin white, thick red.

I have some pics I can e-mail to someone who can post them. Embarrasingly, I haven't quite figured that out.

Thanks for any opinions on this knife sheath combo.
Old 08-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Skilled

Pictures certainly help. Randall used to "broker" some odd sheaths for me in the early to mid 80's. They are much too busy now to attempt to help folks out with "customizing" their sheaths. For that you would go to Sullivan's leather directly.
As for your Johnson sheaths: You say both are marked 1 8. Are both also Randall trademark stamped? A lot of Johnson's sheaths were made exactly the same way that the Randall shop-supplied sheath were made. They would put a "Johnson/ Castleberry" type of stamp on them, however, and that would indicate a "Johnson-made" sheath, verses a "Randall shop-ordered" sheath.
I used to talk Dave Griffin into ordering pouch-style sheaths from Johnny Johnson for Models #3,#4,#7,#5,#8, and #21. Those sheaths came "Randall-stamped", even though they were not exactly the "catalog version" of correct. I'm probably confusing you more than not, but you probably have validity in the sheaths: Just get someone to post pics, but "NOT ME"!! I'm the worst in the world at it! Best,
Captain Chris Stanaback

Old 08-19-2005, 11:53 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Hello and welcome. Email me the pics to mdtree_at_cableone.net and I'll be happy to post them this afternoon, when I get home from work.

-gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 08-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

Captain, they do have the "Randall Made Knives Orlando FLA" stamp on them. I will send pics to Raindog. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-19-2005, 12:51 PM

Welcome, SL!

I don't know too much about "High Ride" sheaths other than the fact they are pretty rare. Here are a couple of photos that were posted on another forum. How do they match up with yours?

http://www.knifeforums.com/ubbthread...ev=#Post663388

Regards,

Ron
Old 08-19-2005, 03:26 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Here are SL's picture's (2nd posting) :

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Raindog; 02-07-2006 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2005, 07:41 PM

Cool Sheaths

Welcome SL!

Very interesting looking sheaths you have to go with your #1-8 :cool:

Thanks for posting these, Gary.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Tags
knife, knives