MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 03-22-2001, 03:33 AM
ansoknives

What turns you on?

Is it working knives or fancy filework and mother of pearl? Folders or straight blades, damascus or plain?? Forged or stockremoval

This is for customers and makers

I really like to make working knives. This does not mean it wont be damascus. I like to mix fancy and rough. Like putting Beadblasted carbonfiber or even G10 on a damascus blade.

Even though I make a few real jazzed up knives with the full Monty (see a pic of the set I made posted in Collectors forum) I prefer to keep most in working grade

I am planning a knife with damascusblade and bolsters. intensive filework, goldscrews and goldtubing and titanium liners (nope it?s not a folder) Blue mammoth ivory for handle and lanyard retention. Actually it?s for the same customer as the set.

I hate to see my knives put away and never be used. I know that quit a few of them end up in display.

To sum up the knife I like to make the best is a Damascus utillity knife with woodhandle and leathersheath. And then send it to someone I know is going to use it.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:10 AM
viper5192

A Wharncliffe folder, nice bolsters, nice scales, MOP Ivory, Mokume bolsters, Damascus Blade, plain blade. With me it has to catch my eye, hard to define, I'm a folder man, but have seen some fixed blades that I would die to have. I'm sure some folks can give you a formulaic answer, but it's sorta like the question, who is the best/greatest maker it's subjective, and subject to change at any time.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:27 AM
JerryO13

Jens,

How do I answer this. I don't know, but I know it when I see it. I collect all sorts of knives. My only requirement is that I like it. I usually go for knives that I will use, but I have a couple that I know will never see use. I use your Damaclaw almost every day, but only on paper and cardboard. As an engineer I look at design very critically, this means more to me than materials. Is it an art piece or a working piece? If art the skies the limit, if a working knife, is the blade long enough?, short enough? curved enough? It depends on the knife's intended use. Is the handle comfortable? Is the sheath any good? With folders I like a very close blade to handle ratio, too big a handle on a folder just looks funny. Does the lock engage well? With a liner lock, where does the lock engage? Did the maker consider wear and tear? After that I look at fit and finish. Is everything fit properly, can you feel line when your finger crosses from bolster to handle? Lastly I consider materials used and price.

I prefer damascus over plain steels, mostly because Damascus is nicer looking and I'll never use a knife for non-knifey things so I don't worry about the damascus vs steel debate. Even though I've been told by many makers that Damascus will perform at least as well as most steels.

I like wood because of the look and how it feels warm in the hand, but worry about it holding up. Pearls are very nice, but here I worry about dropping it. Same consideration for ivories.

Old 03-28-2001, 08:02 AM
ansoknives

good points! Now you other guys!!!
Old 03-28-2001, 08:22 AM
Mike Conner

Knives and Women have a lot in common. They can be beautiful and still a little dangerous or maybe not so beautiful but you feel comfortable with them.
Sometimes you are attracted to one and really can't figure out why, It is not always the outward apperance, sometimes it's just something about them that reaches out to you. Some are very beautiful, but don't appeal to you at all. (Just not my type) if you know what I mean.
I seem to attraced by design for useabality, clean lines and personal appeal. I guess that I look for what they are made of, for after all beauty is only on the surface.
Mike
Old 03-28-2001, 07:49 PM
LPowell

What turns me on...

Great question. What turns me on? What DOESN'T turn me on when it comes to knives?? I like the thought of taking raw materials and turning them into something that is both useful as well as (hopefully) beautiful. I like the thought of making something that will, in all likelihood, outlast me. Just my thoughts.

Larry

PS:
Jens, Congrats on your article recently published in "Tactical Knives" (May 2001 issue). John Larsen's journalistic prowess really came shining through in this article! A quality review/profile of a quality knifemaker... 'nuff said!
Old 03-29-2001, 12:30 AM
Geno

Re: What turns me on...

Everything about handmade knives turns me on.
I love to go to a big knife show and see all those pretty knives in one place.Each knife seems to have it's own story.
I just run around like a kid in a candy store.
Turn ons are good craftsmanship,tight fitups,and a blend in materials that work together.Don't forget the walk and talk,the "pretty" should be the icing----Not the cake!

Old 04-16-2001, 09:53 PM
hazdgs

what turns you on?

I can not leave a knife unpolished. The gleam and shine of the metal parts and the deep luster of the handle material attract my attention every time.To me if I can't see myself its not finished.
Old 04-17-2001, 04:55 AM
NickWheeler

Re: what turns you on?

Most often it's simple elegance.

Don't get me wrong, I love fancy knives...but there seems to be a trend towards really gawdy knives. Too much damascus, blueing, gold....just too much to look at in one knife.

I know that the more a guy does to a knife, the more it show-cases his skills/talents. I just think some guys go too far.

I love any kind of ivory, stag, bone. I haven't seen very many exotic woods that I didn't like, even though they don't hold as high a praise in many knifemaking circles.

I think a hand-rubbed satin finished blade is most often the "cleanest" nicest looking finish, yet I have seen photos of mirror polished blades that just knock my socks off. I like most damascus...just not too much of it.

I love it when a knife has good flowing lines, good flowing colors, superlative fit and finish, and it's even better if it feels as good to hold as it does to look at it.

But like has been said, it's just gonna grab your eye or it won't.

Nick

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives