MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 12-26-2001, 12:05 PM
Tattooed Soul

Give a fellow Smith direction....

Hey all,
I am so glad I found this forum (Thanks much Ed Caffrey). I am an ammeter metal smith and a degreed Industrial Engineer and a Journeyman Machinist. I have been fascinated by Smithing ever since my Grandfather taught me simple smithing and casting practices at the age of 12. It was not until much later in life that I Got the Passion for smithing in general. I have been pursuing and gathering smithing tools and knowledge for some three years now and have become quite serious about the craft.
As of late I have become totally consumed with Bladesmithing. I really need direction however, and would like for any of the Pros or knowledgeable beginners to share with me the tips and tools for gathering knowledge about this craft.
Truly any little piece of advice will be appreciated..

Thanks for your help.
Lee Smith

Old 12-26-2001, 01:12 PM
Bob Warner

Welcome to the furums. Godd have have you here. Hope you will visit often.

Your profile is not complete so I don't know where you are located but there are blacksmiths associations all over the country and I recommend you join one. If you are in Texas, let me know and I can get you in touch with some people here.

To update your profile got to "My control center" and edit your profile. If you tell us where you are, someone local may be willing to assist you in person.

Search the web for "ABANA" and you will get a lot of hits for blacksmithing sites.

Go here: www.anvilfire.com/ for more info. Also, go into the Iforge link off of the menu and there are tutorials in there.

And go to our own Neo-Tribal forum towards the bottom of the forum list. There are a log of blacksmith/bladesmiths there.

It looks like we don't have to mention Ed Caffery.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:48 PM
Tattooed Soul

Bob,
Thanks for the pointers...
Profile is now updated...
The picture sucks though.
Old 12-26-2001, 01:56 PM
Raymond Richard

Re: Give a fellow smith the bug, I mean direction.....

Welcome Lee, I see the smithing bug has got you...: .. Just stay tuned and I'm sure your questions will be answered at some stag of the game. We are all Newbie's in one way or another. There's always something to be learned and it doesn't always come from someone who's been making knives all there life. I'm sure with your work background you'll be answering questions as time goes by. I don't know how you got past Bob with out him trying to sell you something....Ray
Old 12-26-2001, 02:56 PM
Bob Warner

Re: Give a fellow smith the bug, I mean direction.....

Lee,

I can't think of anyone in your area off hand but they are there.

Go here: google.yahoo.com/bin/query?p=illinois+blacksmith&hc=0&hs=1 There are a lot of hits when searching for "Illinois Blacksmith" mayby there is something close to you. Also the ABANA page may point you to someone in your area.

Ray is a good guy and he will GIVE you anything you want, so just send him an e-mail and tell him you want one of his knives, he will send it to you for free and he will pay the postage. He is really a heck of a nice guy but does not make a very good living giving things away. But since that is what makes him happy, you really should take something.
Old 12-26-2001, 06:56 PM
Raymond Richard

Re: Give bob a bug........

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : : You know how many times I had to do that to do a whole line? That many.......:
Old 12-26-2001, 07:12 PM
Shadowenterprise

thats alot of little smilies

Old 12-27-2001, 12:40 PM
Tattooed Soul

OK guys, so now that I realize that I am sane and not suffering from some rare iron related desease, Where is a good place to start?

What books?
What plans?

I have a good many tools and am currently building a gas forge, Any sugestions for a good first project?
I would eventualy like become skillfull enough to make my own damascus and will always be a forger as opposed to a grinder...
Old 12-27-2001, 08:56 PM
Bob Warner

Go here: HERE and you will find places for information and some books to read.

Go to the web page of Johnathon Loose, he has some damascus training there Johnathon's page Look around at his site, some good info.

Go to Terry Primos' web page Terry's page there is a lot of good stuff here also.

And go to Ed Caffrey's site Ed's Page

Also, don't forget the tutorials on the menu at the top of the page.

There are a lot more but I am tired and my brain is not working at it's usual 5 miles and hour so I may add more later.

Tags
forge, forging, knives