MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum

The S.R. "Steve" Johnson Forum Specialized knife making tips, technique and training for "ultra precision" design work enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2002, 09:35 AM
primos

Boxes for shipping

Steve,
It seems to me that this may have been covered a long time ago -- maybe even on the old forums. And I think that it was in your forum.

I'm looking for a supplier of boxes for shipping out my knives. Mine run anywhere from 7-1/2" OAL to about 18" OAL. I had a big Bowie to ship out yesterday, and I had fits finding a box for it.

None of the ones at the post office were big enough. All the little specialty box places around town weren't of much use either. I finally had to settle for a box that was 26" x 20" x 6" for Bowie that was about 17". It looks like I'm mailing the guy a suitcase. :

Where do you (or any of the other guys here) order your boxes suitable for knife shipments?
Old 03-01-2002, 11:33 AM
Don Cowles

Terry, I get mine from Paper Mart in California. www.papermart.com.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:37 AM
primos

Thanks Don. I'll check it out right now.
Old 03-01-2002, 03:46 PM
m williams

boxes

Terry, how are ya you old dog? I ship most of mine in 4 in. diameter pvc sewer pipe.Cut to the length you need. I duct tape the caps on, then wrap it in brown paper. Pack it good and it is almost bullet proof. Since in the long haul I get most of them back someway, they are cheaper than buying boxes. .02 worth mike
Old 03-01-2002, 03:51 PM
srjknives

I use, have since the Loveless days, Indestructo mailers (boxes) and currentley get them from ULINE @ www.uline.com

Most common size for hunter types is the 10 x 3 x 2 or No. S-844 @ $38.00/100.

They have one that's 17 1/2 x 3 1/2 x 3 1/2, or another that's 24 x 4 x 4, etc.

Good luck. I'll check out Paper Mart, too.

I did. Their 10 x 3 x 2 size costs $34.00/100

Of course, you'll need o add abvout $7 - $10 shipping.
Old 03-01-2002, 05:10 PM
primos

Many thanks for the box links Don and Steve!

Mr. Mike, howya doin' buddy? Yep, I talked with J. Fisk about it at the Arkansas show. He uses the PVC pipe too. I know the stuff is just about indestructible. I'm just a little concerned about walking into a post office and mailing off a piece pipe. Do you get any funny looks?
Old 03-01-2002, 06:00 PM
Ed Caffrey

I second the PVC pipe! I've been using it for the last several years. I've received many comments from customers who tell me they have never seen such a secure packing job. I also like the fact that, who would suspect a $1,500 bowie knife would be inside a piece of PVC, so it gives me a little peace of mind when shipping. I'm lucky in the respect that most of the folks at the post office know me, and usually say...."OK Ed, where's this one going to?"
Old 03-01-2002, 08:22 PM
primos

Okay, that's three Mastersmiths in a row who have suggested the PVC pipe to me. I've got to at least consider it. The only reason I've gotten to the point where I am now is because I've listened to you guys all along.

I'm just going to feel funny walking into a post office with pipe package. If somebody hollers "Strip search", I'm going to freak out. :

Old 03-02-2002, 11:08 AM
srjknives

What is the extra cost with the PVC tube? That thing has to be pretty heavy.

Probably a moot point, huh? Considering the security.
Old 03-04-2002, 05:22 AM
Roger Gregory

What about the stout cardboard tubes used for mailing all manner of things? I've had knives shipped to me from the USA, Canada and South Africa in those tubes, not a mark...

If you are going to use the PVC pipe, why not just wrap it in brown paper and it'll look like every other package in the postal system.

Roger
Old 03-04-2002, 08:50 AM
m williams

boxes

Terry, do it just like they do with the videos and other stuff ;plain brown paper wrapper! Steve; I figure the pipe weighs more than the knife. But I sleep better when delivery is running a day or so late. I've never had a knife damaged yet; knock on wood. But I did have one pipe arrive with a hole knocked in the cap.The knive was fine. I believe if anything else had been used to ship, it would have been a disaster. my 02 mike
Old 03-04-2002, 04:50 PM
srjknives

Re: boxes

I'm sure thos eother cardboard tubes would work fine.
Mike, that's a fine testimonial for the PVC route. Brown paper wrapper would eliminate teh stares, and even the curiosity inthe postal system, I'd think.
Old 03-05-2002, 07:22 AM
RJ Martin

Re: boxes

PVC pipe is great, IF you make wooden plugs for the ends. If you drop a PVC package on it's end, there is no crushing or energy absorption of any kind, so, the knife tries really hard to pierce the end of the tube.
For myself, I opened a FEDEX account-they send me boxes in 3 sizes, and, shipping tubes, free of charge, whenever I need them. Never had a package chewed up, or, lost.
And, talk about your package looking just like everyone else's...

See ya'

RJ Martin
Old 03-05-2002, 08:50 AM
Gary Mulkey

Terry,

If you decide that you want to use a corrigated shipping box as I do, check out Burhop Box & Packaging. I don't have their phone # handy but they have a web page.

Gary
Old 03-10-2002, 09:52 AM
Dusty

Shipping boxes

Here is a couple of companies that I have been using for shipping boxes. BrownCor (800)327-2278 & Uline (800)295-5510

Tags
knife, knives