MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:15 AM
Steel Addict

Lightbulb Post em- sheath pics / colors and dyes

I have been on here for quite a while this morning and found quite a few dye recipes i.e. coffee, vinegar steel wool, chew, walnut, commercial dyes, but no pics associated with them. I suppose if I had an unlimited amount if time and leather samples to test all of these I could see them for myself, but I was hoping each of you could post a sheath pic, and what you used to dye it, so we could all have a "go to" thread containing a variety of sheath color options.

PS - I know some of you serious makers literally have hundreds of different colors and concoctions, so please just post a pic or two of your favorites.
Thanks Chris

Old 11-23-2009, 10:08 AM
Steel Addict

Seriously? No one has a picture?

Old 11-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Steel Addict

OK, heres one I did with walnut.

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

Come see us at Blade show 26BB.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:13 PM
Steel Addict

But then here is a holster dyed with home made walnut stain, you will get different colors depending on the strength of the dye and how you do it. Your going to have to play with it with some scrap to get your method figured out.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Steel Addict

And again here is another holster done with home brewed walnut stain. As you can see your going to have to play with it, I can get different results depending on the stain, how its stained, how its dried, and the final dressings.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:28 PM
Steel Addict

Care for a little more red color? Done with the same dye. This one was aged heavily with an old blue jean rag and dried in the window with the sunlight followed up with pure neatsfoot.

Last edited by cliff fendley; 11-23-2009 at 02:32 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Steel Addict

Wow, good looking stuff!

Old 11-23-2009, 04:50 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks, your probably going to just have to play with the walnut until you get what you like. All I can guarantee is it will be some sort of brown. I had a time with it at first, Chuck Burrows helped my out, the biggest pointer he gave me that I can pass along is the sun is your friend during the drying. The amount of sun while it dries determines the color, I only dye with it on sunny days and get it in the bath the night before or real early in the morning so it can dry in the sun until I get the desired color. Even then it wont always come out the same, different leather will turn out different so matching an older piece can be a real challenge with this stuff.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:57 PM
Steel Addict

Here is another done with walnut stain that I highlighted with darkened oil when I did the top dressing.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:27 AM
Steel Addict

Cliff,
Thanks for the avice on the walnut. I figure I better post something since I started this thread. Keep in mind I am a beginner at this, and I am alost embarrassed to put my stuff on the same page as Cliff's.

I used Fiebings Dark Brown on the sheath's below (it's the only color I have). The flash makes the color look redder than it actually is, but either way I not thrilled overall with the color. This is one of the reasons I started this thread, so people can have a visual comparison.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:48 AM
Steel Addict

I think the sheath looks great, so does the knife, that's nothing to be ashamed of. I've had the best luck with pictures outside on a cloudy day without the flash.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:59 PM
Skilled

I have almost quit using dyes entirely except for the finished edges and then I use Feibing's Professional Oil Dye in dark brown or black, I started using Wickett and Craig leathers pre dyed at the tannery in russet, chestnut, brown and black. The finished product never has a splotchy look and is always even in color as shown below.

Colors are left to right Chestnut, Russet, Chestnut, Chestnut, Brown and Brown. Black is, of course Black, but I do not have any problems with the Black trying to rub off.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1317.jpg (96.9 KB, 64 views)

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net

Last edited by sheathmaker; 11-25-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Steel Addict

Paul, I wondered how the dyed leathers stamped and carved. Looking at your work I had always figured you did your dying after but before sewing. I had considered trying some russet before for holsters since it appears many old original pieces were russet leather that has picked up its additional coloring and character from the dirt and oils its been in contact with.

Generally the home made walnut stain dries close to a russet color. The additional staining and highlighted areas I do after by going back and hitting the spots I want darker for a used/aged look. You can look at old saddles and leather gear to get the idea of how it darkens in the areas it gets handled by picking up oils and dirt.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:17 PM
Skilled

Cliff, the colored leathers carve and stamp in the usual sequence, just like you would on Russet (natural). All of the brown tones work extremely well. The black is a little more resistant to good impressions, but not much. The chestnut finishes out very much like the color of russet on a ten year old saddle.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 11-25-2009, 05:09 PM
Enthusiast

nice cliff.

Tags
knife