MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:05 PM
Frank Docherty

Hand Techniques

Hello everyone, I am new to the knifemaking world, I am at the moment making a Both swords and knives, but I want to make a sword using purely hand held tools, such as files etc.

I realise that this is going to be a long arduous job, but it is something I want to do, any help on hand cutting and finishing techniques would be most welcome.

I am also making a Scramasax, and even though I am in England, and visit the British library regularly I am finding it most difficult to find pictures or drawings of these ancient weapons, any advice on sources would be appreciated.

I found this Forum through knifemaker Terry Primos who's knives are true works of art, Thanks Terry.

My website can be found at www.frankdoc.in2home.co.uk

Best Regards
Frank
Old 06-28-2001, 12:23 PM
Don Cowles

First, Frank, welcome to the CKD. Glad to have you with us.

If I were going to make a long blade with files and hand tools, the first thing I would do is build a fixture to hold the steel securely in a vise so it could be worked without jumping all over the place. I would recommend a hardwood board of about the width of the stock you are using, and about the length of the blade you are making. You can clamp the board in a bench vise, and c-clamp the steel to the board. By moving the clamps around as needed, you can draw-file the steel to the desired shape, and finish with sanding blocks and wet-or-dry paper.

If you really are brand new to knifemaking, I would recommend reading "How to Make Knives" by Barney and Loveless- it deals very well with the steps involved in making a blade with nothing but hand tools. Let us know how you progress!
Old 06-28-2001, 04:09 PM
primos

Hey Frank. Welcome to the forums, and thank you verymuch for the compliment. Glad you came on over.

Our own Max Burnett posted a very nice tool he made for draw filing blades. He calls it a filing station. Here's a pic of Max's filing station:

There is a thread in the Neo-Tribal Outpost forum about this filing station. The Neo-Tribal gang can help you a lot with using and making hand tools for creating blades. Here's a link to that particular thread:

Max Burnett's Filing Station

Old 06-28-2001, 04:16 PM
primos

Oh yeah, while I was over there looking for the filing station thread, I found another one where they were discussing Scramasaxes. I didn't read the whole thread, but there was also a link to a website about Scramasaxes. Here's the link to the thread in the Neo-Tribal forum:

Question about Scramasax
Old 06-29-2001, 12:47 PM
Frank Docherty

Thanks for the replies chaps,
All the advice given is very useful, I especially like the look of the hand filing device, a very serious piece of equipment, as well as the advice on how to manage a long blade.

The thread on the Seax was very good reading, and offered some good thinking points.

Best Regards
Frank
Old 06-29-2001, 04:05 PM
m l williams

re: Max

Glad to see some folks I knew at Atlanta, Max and Jeff came by and made me feel less conspicous. Max it was a pleasure to work with you at Old Washington. It is nice to see work, out of the mold ,so to speak. If you make it to the hammer-in in oct. I can show you how to put in those nice swooping curves on your riccasso by hand. Your filing fixture is one high- tech looking device! It would take an ole' okie a week to figure out how to work it! take care mike

Tags
blade, knife, knives