MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 03-18-2001, 05:53 PM
eadus

washers and detent

I have some .005" bronze washers ans some .010" teflon washers that I would like to use, however I have a question regarding how much of the detent do I leave exposed and what size drill I use for the hole in the blade. If I leave only the thickness of the washer exposed the ball will protrude out the other side of the .050" spring (I can grind this off) but the amount left is only very tiny and I'm in a quandry about the size of the hole in the blade.

Old 03-20-2001, 12:51 AM
Frank Niro

I use liners of .050 on all of my liner locks.I only use 1/16 stainless balls for detents. If you use a no. 53 bit you will have a hole that will hold the ball nicely .You will have to install the ball with a pin punch of course.I drill the hole for the ball so it just barely comes through the far side-say .052 deep. This hole should be made in the upper corner of the leaf spring. Make sure that the ball is going to be positioned so that the ball will not run off of the bottom edge of the blade when you are closing it. Once the hole is drilled as described I install the ball. You will end up with approximately .010 only sticking out and I have found that this will work well. Unless it is a large folder-you will have to decide what is large- I use .015 shims. I don't believe that teflon should be used, you will find that it will compress as you try to get a proper fit on your blade. Nylatron is good so is high density plastic shim stock and stainless shim stock will also do a good job for you. Well of course a .015 shim does not give you enough clearance to close your blade so it is necessary to either relieve the inside of the bolster or taper the lock leaf on the outside . If you remove about .010 at the front with a tapper to the back-about 3/4 the length of the lock leaf it will work great and the ball will still be well retained. I also just barely break the edge where the angle is cut where the lock enters the blade-to protect the edge from damaging the ball. I drill the detent hole in the hardened blade with a 3/32 carbide spade drill but you can make do with care and perhaps a little sizing down on the sides with a 1/8 masonary bit. To find the place to drill the detent hole I assemble only as much of the knife as necessary but with the stop pin and the spacer at the back and pivot and shims. If you work the blade - finished- closed and then just part way open placing some pressure on the lock against the blade many times you will get a streak. The center for the drill bit should be just past the end of the streak because the hole being made will of course expand. Make this hole very small and then try it. If the detent does not fall into the hole increase it a bit. Naturally this all assumes that the blade was 100% fitted for closed position.I'm sure there are many other ways to do this - maybe all are better- But I know this will work and if I can help some I'm pleased. Certainly going to thicker shims will make things a lot easier but it sure does make a small knife disproportionally wide. Frank
Old 03-20-2001, 02:08 AM
Frank Niro

Probably a lot easier way to mark the spot for the ball center would be to get everything together in the closed position and mark the hole center through the hole drilled to take the ball before it's installed-as Jason Howell said. Frank

Tags
blade, knife