MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 06-01-2001, 05:13 AM
george tichbourne

Talonite/Stellite backsprings

I have been playing with a couple of slip joint folders and have got to wondering whether the backsprings could be made from talonite or stellite to eliminate the time waiting for heat treat. Would the toothiness of the material interfer with the walking and talking of the knife? Would there be enough spring tension or would it sag out over time?

Anyone with any experience here?
Old 06-03-2001, 09:54 PM
Frank Niro

George, both talonite and stellite do not have any elasticity to speak of. In fact they will bend with not an awful lot of effort-and stay bent. Frank.
Old 06-04-2001, 04:52 AM
george tichbourne

Thanks Frank, I was afraid that that would be the situation. Back to using 440C for springs.
Old 06-04-2001, 08:53 PM
Frank Niro

George, I should have passed this remark along as well which is to see if you san get some301 half -hard. This is a real fine stainless spring steel that can be hard -silver soldered- at over 1500 degress and not lose the elasticity that it is made with. I often use it for liner lock type liners. I don,t know where you can get it. I have a some that was taken out of a particular application in a paper making mill.The material I have is only .050 thick, and I think was made by a company called Thermo Dynamics. Frank.
Old 06-07-2001, 07:45 AM
Mike Conner

If you need some 301 in either half hard or full hard let me know. I have .063 thick material in both. I have yet to make a folder, but have been rounding up materials just in case I ever do try my hand at them.
Mike

Tags
knife, knives