MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 12-17-2001, 11:14 AM
John m cohea

A two part folder question

The first part of my question is this. On some finely crafted folders in the mags, I have seen lockbars and spacers on linerlocks with abalone and pearl inlays. How are these inlays held in place? Are they simply superglued or epoxied in, or is something with a greater tensile strength such as JB weld or similar product used? The second part concerns linerlocks. On some knifes I have seen backbars or spacer that extend all the way to the blade. Now I assume this eliminates the need for a stop pin, for this part is obvious,but does this also act like a spring in a slip joint,thus eliminating the need for the detent ball? This has always been my assumption, but I would like to know for sure from someone who does know and or uses this techniques in constructing their knives. Thanks to all who can answer these questions for me!!
Old 12-17-2001, 05:24 PM
neil charity

To hold inlays in place I use a 2 part loctite adhesive, it's called speedbonder 324 and it goes off in about a minute, spue glue is way too fast in my opinion and I'm not sure how strong it is.
If you back spacer runs all the way to the back of the blade theoretically you can use it as the stop pin, however I would still try an incorporate a stop pin either just under the spacer or as part of it. No matter what you do you will still need a detent ball to hold the blade properly in the closed position.

Regards from Australia.

Old 12-18-2001, 09:21 AM
Geno

John,
The inlays on the spine are dovetailed to lock in place. Some adhesive will be required, but the dovetail is what holds it in, and the liners keep it from shifting sideways.
Few of the exteded backs are for spring tension, but they should be.
I used to (back when I made liner locks) put a tiny set screw in the end of that bar to adjust the lockup tension.
The blade would stop on the screw head. By adjusting this screw, you could govern HOW the lock felt and fit up.

Even with a spring pulling the blade shut, the detent is important for a liner lock.
Have you ever seen a spring loaded plunger ball used as an adjustable detent?
Old 12-18-2001, 12:20 PM
John m cohea

Thanks for the info Neil and Gene.That clears things up for me. I don`t do liner locks yet, but do intend to try one day.Never would have thought about dovetailing the inlays,neat trick!! I dont think I,ve ever seen the spring loaded detent you described either Gene.By the way, thanks so much again for the call yesterday. My forgewelding seems to be really moving forward now. I started two all steel knives yesterday using 3/4 cable with the strands wrapped with nickle as described in your forum, and so far so good. Will let you know what the end results are!!
Old 12-19-2001, 09:15 AM
Geno

John,Happy to help.
MSC has those spring loaded plunger type ball things I told you about. They are a little pricy, but an adjustable detent is uncommon. A small allen wrench to move the screw and it locks in place with a nylon shim.

Tags
blade, knife, knives