MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:39 AM

Pin stock size, drill size & pressfit?

I am a newbie, and I recently bought some stainless steel pin stock- 3/16" and 1/4" diameters, thinking that it?s slightly oversized- so I just need to drill a 3/16" and a 1/4" hole for each and it will have a press fit. But no, even without removing the surface rust on the pins, they slide easily in and out of the holes. So if I remove the rust with fine sandpaper, the pin stock will for sure ?rattle around? in the holes.

Did I misunderstand this with buying 3/16" & 1/4" pin stock for 3/16" and 1/4" drilled holes and get a press fit? If I did, please advice how I should proceed from here? The actual holes are not yet drilled, since I just did a test on some scrap metal.

Thanks,

HV
Old 03-30-2007, 08:34 AM
Hall of Famer

Holes will generally be slightly oversized when drilled. So, a 1/4" drill bit will make a hole that is slightly larger than 1/4" You would need to get numbered drill bits (like machinists use) that are slightly undersized. I've not used them, but I think someone on here in the past said that McMaster-Carr carries them, and I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. Lowes, your corner hardware store, etc., will not have them.

That being said, a "press fit" probably won't be sufficient to hold your scales on (assuming that is what you're trying to attach). You should pein the pins (best) or at least use some sort of adhesive (also good). In either case, peining will expand the pin to fit the slightly over-sized hole, or adhesive will fill the gap.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 AM

Thank you for your reply Armory414! Makes sense!!! By the way, the pins will be used as stop pins in a balisong type of design.

Thanks,

HV
Old 03-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Skilled

Hay Hakviking, , somtimes its hard to give advise without seeing the problem,,as in this case,,how loose is loose? ect.
I work with 1/8" inch pins and when i drill 1/8" inch holes in my blades it is usuley a "good" fit,,that is to say the pin must be coaxed through the blade..

alot of us would like to be more of a help but without eyes on the problem,,its difficult to give spot on fix it advise.
Skip
Old 03-30-2007, 11:16 AM
Hall of Famer

Some other thoughts--pay attention to your technique. A sturdy drill press with your material clamped will drill to tighter tolerances than unclamped, or trying to drill by hand. I assume you know this, but then again we don't know how much of a newbie you are. . .
Old 03-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Hi skipknives and Armory414,

Very true- it's easier to give advice when you actually can see the problem. :-) I would say I am a newbie making knives (on my 2nd one now)- but when it comes to machines and working with mechanical stuff- many years experience.

Saying that, thank you guys for your replies! I now know what to do and I am going down to the hardware store buying some new drill bits. That will for sure solve the problem!

I live in an apartment, I have a 18 month old daughter and a pregnant wife. So not much time for my new hobby! Saying that- I ?steal? a few hours here and there and expect to finish this knife project in 2- 3 months time. If everything goes as planned, I will then post some pictures here of the result of all the stuff I bought from www.knifekits.com

Thanks and Regards,

HV
Old 03-30-2007, 12:32 PM
Hall of Famer

HAKViking,

Keep us posted (with pics!) of your progress. I "steal" time away here and there as well. My wife's commute is about 25 minute longer than mine. I don't have a grinder, just files, so I file away for about 15 minutes each morning before I leave for work. That, or drill holes in bar stock for a new blank, or cut handle material, or hand sand a ground blade. The 15 minutes here and there adds up.

Nathan
Old 04-01-2007, 05:39 AM

Yes, for sure I will keep you posted!

That's more or less exact how I also work- 15 minutes here and there adds up- you are right! Then during weekends, I can often take a few hours during the night when my wife and daughter sleeping.

As you- I don't have a grinder and do most of the job by hand. However, I have a $50 bench drill and a Dremmel.

Regards,

HV
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 AM
Guru

I take a digital caliper and measure the pin and use a number drill bit that's slightly over what the caliper reads and I ALWAYS drill in scrap wood for fit before drilling the real stuff.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 04-01-2007, 11:36 AM
Enthusiast

I bought an inexpensive set that has numbered, lettered, and fractional drill bits. I also use a digital caliper before I choose my bit. I have found that mine are all about .002 to .003 undersized. Knowing that ahead of time is helpful in choosing the right bit, BUT, I still check.

Tags
balisong, blade, butterfly knife, knife