MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 04-04-2001, 09:36 AM
Dana Acker

Being from North Carolina, and living in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains on the Virginia border, we have a lot of great looking white tail stag. Problem is, that it's illegal to use--either NC or VA stag. A NC fish and game officer told me that I'd probably fare better in the courts if the next time I did a show, I had an open bag of marijuana on the table as opposed to a stag handled knife (of NC or VA stag). My display, all money, vehicle, and shop are subject to confiscation.

I can use sambar, western black tail, European or any other out of state or out of country stag provided I have receipts verifying the type and purchase. If someone legally shoots a deer and wants me to make them a knife handle out a piece of the rack, I may do that, but just for that person. Even though the rest of the rack be worthless for display purposes at that point, I cannot legally make myself a knife handle with the rest of it, much less a piece for sale. Any of the rest of y'all out there have this problem?
Old 04-04-2001, 10:31 AM
Don Cowles

I believe the left coast folks are faced with similar foolishness.
Old 04-04-2001, 08:25 PM
LPowell

Foolishness

Well put, Don.
Old 04-05-2001, 09:43 AM
Geno

Re: Foolishness

It is not like the animal needs the rest back either.
By the time I get the rack,the animal is quite thru with it.
Old 04-05-2001, 06:22 PM
LPowell

Re: Foolishness

Gene:
ROFL!!!
Old 04-09-2001, 08:15 PM
Raymond Richard

The guy your looking for is Ray Simonson, KOPROMED USA. I have his email address if your interested, usakopro@aol.com
This is the Euro stag, I've bought some but still haven't used it yet. It doesn't have as much meat as the Sambar stag but I think its the next best thing. He has been selling one heck of a lot of it latly and always seems to be getting a new shipment in at least once a month.
Old 05-17-2001, 10:43 PM
William

Do not know if this will give you any ideas,

I buy most of my elk and deer in full racks from a couple of local farms that raise the beast.

It generaly cost me about 9.00$ a pound, and on ocasion have traded for it. The farms are not very larg and do'nt advertise so I just happened to luck up on them.

hope this helps
Old 05-21-2001, 08:53 PM
C L Wilkins

Now tell me, the Virginia deer that they imported down here in Texas a few years ago, is that illegal???

Why don't we all throw in together and start a stag farm? We could get together once a year and have a "stag party".

OK, OK, enough levity....

Does anyone know the real story on the reasoning behind the export ban? Not that I could do anything about it, just curious on the reasoning.

By the way, it is legal here in Texas to make products from deer antlers. I just like Sambar stag. Axis is not bad either.

Craig
Old 05-21-2001, 09:37 PM
spryor

Red Deer Antler

I believe I'm about to hook up solid with a source for Red Deer antler sheds. From what I can tell so far Red Deer antler has a decent texture, coloring is good, and it is very dense. Much more dense than Whitetail, and similar to Sambar. If anyone is interested in some of this for $12.-$14. per lb. please contact me and I'll get you on the list.

Thanks.

knives4u3@juno.com
Steve
www.stevescutlery.com

Tags
knife, knife making, knives