MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > General ::: Items and Bargains

General ::: Items and Bargains Good deals on useful items for sale by Knife Network members

Old 02-26-2002, 04:17 PM
JossDelage

FS Custom tanto - Brumagen folded / pattern welded (pics)

Hi,

I have a custom, handmade pattern welded tanto for sale. Here are the details:

The tanto was made for me by Jerry Brumagen. It is made of many - several hundreds - layers of high carbon steel. I do not know what steel exactly it is. The blade has been polished by Jerry, albeit not traditionally. The hada (grain) and hamon are already obvious, but the more subtle details are still hidden. The boshi is o-maru (big circle.) The hada combines itame with it seems some area of mokume. The hamon appears to be a shallow midare (a fairly straight irregular line.) It was pattern welded by hand and it has 3 grain openings.

You'll notice close to the back of the blade and close to the nakago a total of 3 grain openings / weld flaws. They look worse in the pics than in reality. Also, the grain openings are definitely there, but I'm not sure the weld flaw is one indeed. It might well polish off perfectly. Here are detailed pics of the small flaws:

The nagasa (blade length) is 8 5/16 inches. Motohaba (width at machi) is 1 5/16. There is a tiny bit of sori, maybe 1/16".

The shape overall is superbly balanced. This is a gorgeous little blade which begs to be mounted aikuchi style (no tsuba.) It could be described as an elongated version of a Hocho Masamune.

I am selling it because I don't foresee being able to have it re-polished and mounted anytime soon, and I need some cash. The blade cost me $350, and I will sell it for $200. This is a unique opportunity to own a handmade pattern welded and polished blade for less than half the price of a Paul Chen tanto on Bugei.

I'll be happy to pay for shipping, and I have a 7 day return, no question asked, policy.

Don't hesitate to e-mail me (joss_d@yahoo.com) with any question, or post here.

Cheers,

JD

Tags
blade, knife