MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 04-06-2002, 03:37 PM
Tim Gosnell

$ Pricing Sheaths $

Somewhere else in the forum pricing of blades is discussed, but no one put the cost of the sheath into the equation. What do you all do in regards to adjusting the overall price to include the sheath?

Tim
Old 04-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Don Cowles

Since virtually all of my knives have sheaths, and since I don't make sheaths for knives other than my own, I have never given any thought to what dollar value to assign to the sheath itself, any more than I do the handle material or the blade.

For a straight using knife to have value to the user, a sheath has to be part of the package, and that's what I make: complete packages.

Having said that, depending on materials and techniques used, and your level of craftsmanship, I would guess a sheath could probably run from $20 to $75; maybe more with tooling and exotic leathers.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:54 AM
Cactusforge

I build sheaths for my knives as Don said part of a package
I probley lose money on every one. If asked to build a sheath with out a knife I will build one if I have time cost is $50 and up
with the money up front. Gib
Old 04-07-2002, 06:20 PM
Raymond Richard

Think your both are right on with your pricing of sheaths. I don't hate making sheaths but what always seem to happen with me is I normally get way ahead with my knife making and when I make sheaths it usually means I've got a bunch to make at one time. I need to train myself when I finish a knife, make a sheath. Still doesn't happen that way yet. Ray
Old 04-07-2002, 07:17 PM
winstonknives

I am glad to see these comments about sheathes. What good is a straight knife without a sheath? To me the cost of the leather and equipment are just another cost of doing business, just like steel and handle material. Sheathes do not cost much, just time. Time is what I am selling anyway.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:04 PM
Tim Gosnell

Thanks for the comments. I know the synthetic sheaths have their place but personally I prefer a leather sheath. Don't think me strange, but there is something about a quality piece of leather, espedcially when transformed into a thing as functional as a knife sheath, that is very satisfying.

Tim
Old 04-07-2002, 10:34 PM
Raymond Richard

Tim, the Kindex has got its place but it will never replace leather.
Old 04-08-2002, 12:32 PM
Normark

Hey Guys....

The only way I could see that you could lose money on a sheath,, is if its a sheath that has many man hours involved, as in hand carving and such.. Even so,, the sheath you make, you should be fairly compensated for...Obviously the end user will be paying for the work...

If its quality work,and the customer can see it,,the extra money, is usually not even a consideration.. If the customer likes the work, and can appreciate the work, the knife/sheath will sell itself...

Most knife buyers who will spend $2-300.00+ on a blade, know what they are looking for an know what is quality and what isn't.

I sometimes put in a lot of time on a custom sheath,especially if the knife is problematic and is not working with the Concealex.. I can't charge an hourly rate for something like this because the sheath would in most cases be out of the reach of the client,,but if it needs to be done, I do my best,charge a fair price for the job and get it done...

Some sheathing jobs I just won't take, because I know the hours it would take to produce,, high failure probability and everything that would go into it..It sometimes just isn't worth my time, or is beyond my means...

This is a fact of the custom sheathing market, but when it comes to your own knives, you usually know what you are getting into before you start..

As far as Kydex never replacing Leather..

Possibly quite true, but there are just some things that a synthetic material will do/ not do that makes it preferable as a sheathing material....

Unique carry configurations in any possible position can be done with a synthetic that just can't be done with leather...

Synthetics in the main stream knife industry is well known and accepted....

There are some knives that I won't put into plastic, mainly because of the style or materials clash with plastic and would be better off in something different...

As far as tactical knives go,,synthetics is the most obvious way to fly.. The options and things you can do with it are just endless...

Alot of people who don't like synthetic sheaths I believe have never had/seen a truely good synthetic sheath...Once they do and see what it can do are easily swayed...

As I've said before,, its not the end all to sheathing,, but used for the right purpose and proper situation it can be a fantastic addition to a blade and make the package pretty sweet....

ttyle

Eric...
Old 04-08-2002, 08:36 PM
DC KNIVES

I love making sheaths,and make some for other makers as well.When I price sheaths it usually runs about $35 for a basic and going up to about $75 for an inlay model,depending on the type of inlay.You have to price like you would a knife, materials, degree of difficulty, labor, and reputation.Dave
Old 04-09-2002, 11:53 PM
helmar4578

Pricing knife sheaths is one of the variables of producing a solid package (knife/sheath combo). Any person making sheaths would like to see a fair return on his investment in time and material involved and that is the source of the large variance in pricing. When I say "Any person" I am referring to the professional, the hobbyist, the part time leather worker, the rank amateur with handy hands, and the KLUTZ. With very few exceptions, the pro will do the better job in less time and will offer tooling and carving that is not, as a rule, offered by the others. It is a known fact that a poorly executed sheath can have a much higher price tag than a beautifully done work of art. The amateur could have put several hours of labor into his effort and would like to be compensated for his time. This is a reasonable desire but is not one favorable to the purchaser. This less than great sheath now has a price tag comparable or greater than that made by the pro who expended less time and effort. This creates a vicious cycle in making pricing adjustments. The pro, seeing a sheath of doubtful quality that is priced higher than his, now doubts that he is charging enough and raises his prices. Before long there is a product being produced that is over priced whether it be a work of art or a piece of crap. I can not see how any maker can justify charging $35/$50 for a PLAIN pouch sheath to fit a knife with a 4" blade. Perhaps for a fully carved sheath in western floral pattern with dyed background or a sheath with exotic leather inlays expertly done---Perhaps!
My advice to any knifemaker that does not make his own leather sheaths or is dissatisfied with the ones he does make, is to shop around, ask questions such as experience in the field, references from his clients, turn around time, "rule of thumb" pricing, and above all---photographs of their work. As they say "a picture is worth a thousand words". Most artisans that do quality work are a little on the egotistical side and would have photos of their work and would be delighted to share their pride with you. Don't purchase a "pig in a poke"! Sandy
Old 04-10-2002, 07:55 AM
Cactusforge

The reason I priced a sheath without a knife is I don't partieulary like to build them, If there were a person near me
that would build a sheath the way I want it done thay would be doing it, so I have to do it myself. If I build a sheath for some one I am going to get payed for it, after being stiffed, the money is up front and I am going to make money on it, that is why the $50 and up. Gib

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives